ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Raiden's 150g Discus tank (eventually planted :) )

Default Re: Raiden's 150g Discus tank (eventually planted :) )

Thanks! Yeah this is my 3rd time buying from him, so no reason to change
    Michael
    Current tanks: 150g - Discus / Planted setting up...
    Old tanks: 180g - Discus / Planted, 180g - SPS Coral, 120g - Discus, 125g+120g SPS Coral, 125g Oscars

Quick group shot with light on. Was trying to grab a picture of each individually, will have to go through and see if I got them all, they love to move around, so I'm sure I got some 10 times, while some none lol. Will try to get a growth chart going for each

Michael
    Old tanks: 180g - Discus / Planted, 180g - SPS Coral, 120g - Discus, 125g+120g SPS Coral, 125g Oscars

Michael

Not likely correctly matched to names, will deal with that later as they grow and become more obvious. But at least I got all the mugshots done lol. Some of them look so similar, was hard to sort pictures

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg
    Michael

Real Name
    Tom

Just to hard to guess with Hans discus at this age. What you think is a cobalt was my flachen ss. What you think is a dark angel I bought as a silver pigeonC326F1E2-7E2F-405B-BD77-CF34DB022F28.jpg160EA7BB-9E49-4E7D-A26D-C6B40C745C4D.jpg.

I have recently noticed that some of the fish have not picked up on pellets being a food source and of course that perfectly correlates to their size. There seem to be about 50% split on which eat anything versus beef heart only which I only give once a day. Somehow until some of them started getting a lot bigger I never noticed that some do not eat them at all. Initially when I fed them pellets it looked like all went for them, granted to makes sure with 20 of them. But obviously a number has slipped through. So I am trying to get on them eating a bit more now, but imagine they will never catch up to their bigger mates.

Also had an issue with one a few weeks ago. Started sitting in one spot staring at a wall, became a bit pale. I tried doing general cure etc. on it, but it did not recover and never ate. As a precaution I treated whole tank afterwards with wormer plus, then general cure, and also few days of polyguard. I did not see anything come out in the tank, but hopefully if there was something there this clear it up.

Snapped a few random pictures of the progress.

Michael

Also one of the bigger fish decided to pick a spot it likes to sit in and annoys anyone coming near the area, I'm guessing it will try to spawn there eventually if someone decided to becomes friends with it lol. It's a spot where a lot of pellets end up, so I guess it makes sense to hang around there
    Michael

Real Name
    Jacob

Two of the ten I got from Hans didn't eat for a long time. One of them eventually died fairly recently after 4ish months. It would sometimes peck at some food. The other finally turned it around after 12 days of metro. They would approach food and bite it, but would just sift/spit most of it out. Didn't notice for about 1.5 months or so when, like you, I started to notice a very marked size difference. The one that turned it around eats really well and he's catching up with some of the smaller ones in the batch and might be approaching the size of the smaller couple.

Good luck with yours!

Real Name
    Shane Sims

WOW Michael, you really put an ENORMOUS amount of time, energy, and care into the setup of your main tank, quarantine, and staging systems. That's really super impressive, and it looks FANTASTIC! How often are you able to do water changes on that big 150-gallon?
    -Shane

Discus do it bare bottom.

Depending on how much I feed. Normally I donit weekly, but for past few weeks twice a week. I have pretty simple system for it, so it's not too much work =) Drop pvc pipe in, start siphon, connect to the drain in the wall next to the tank that goes to front yard. This drains to a preset level, so no need to monitor much. Once done disconnect drain hose and attach tap water one from a sink 50 feet away and add some Safe. This part I do have to monitor as it will not stop lol, but sump can handle a bit of extra water, so I could miss it by a bit.
    Michael

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12