ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Easter Eggs!! What do i do now?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Steven King

Exclamation Easter Eggs!! What do i do now?

So, my discus laid eggs today ... on the filter tube ... in the community tank.

I am totally unprepared for this. I didn't think my discus were old enough to spawn yet.

The tank is a planted 55 gallon with five discus along with two blue rams, a bristle nose pleco, a few amano shrimp and some nerite snails. There is a lot of aggression in the tank today.

I would have thought that the smart thing would be to relocate the pair and the eggs to another tank. But the eggs being on the filter tube presents a problem there. Also, the only tank I have available right now is a standard 20 gallon. And, it's empty and not cycled.

What do I do now?

Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Steve

IMG-2093.jpg
    IMG-2092.jpg

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: Easter Eggs!! What do i do now?

Absolutely nothing. It's extremely unlikely - essentially never - that the first spawn will be fertile. Even if it were and you actually got free swimming spawn, the rams will get them. More likely, the male won't be fertile for another 3 months. So you'll have plenty of time to get a breeding tank set up, cycled and ready if they spawn again. In the meantime, I would take a water sample to your LFS to document water parameters.

It's the start of an exciting journey!
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Steven King

Default Re: Easter Eggs!! What do i do now?

Thank you.