AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Can new rock wool be used as a long-term planting medium

Real Name
    Steve

Default Can new rock wool be used as a long-term planting medium

I have several small plants in their original slit-plastic 2" pots still in the original rock wool they were in when I bought them over a year ago from a regional store. They turned in to a low priority and I never repotted them. They would have been in gravel filled pts anyway. So they've been doing Ok in my 40 gal. One recently got dislodged during a cleaning, which has prompted me to consider finally repotting them. Any reason not to get new rock wool to use as an inorganic medium?

Registered Member

Default Re: Can new rock wool be used as a long-term planting medium

Quote Originally Posted by RogueDiscus View Post
    I have several small plants in their original slit-plastic 2" pots still in the original rock wool they were in when I bought them over a year ago from a regional store. They turned in to a low priority and I never repotted them. They would have been in gravel filled pts anyway. So they've been doing Ok in my 40 gal. One recently got dislodged during a cleaning, which has prompted me to consider finally repotting them. Any reason not to get new rock wool to use as an inorganic medium?
    Any reason you don't want to use the current RW? In the past I always used the RW they came but like you put into clay pots and use gravel.

Registered Member JeffreyRichard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RogueDiscus View Post
    Hi ... I have a question about how you plants are doing, and if any others have comments about keeping potted plants, specifically Crypts, in the rock wool + plastic pots log term?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyRichard View Post
    Hi ... I have a question about how you plants are doing, and if any others have comments about keeping potted plants, specifically Crypts, in the rock wool + plastic pots log term?
    I've done it both ways. With Discus and a bare bottom tank I've taken the plant and RW out and placed into a clay pot with gravel. With the appropriate lighting and a fert tablet pushed in next to the roots the grow very well.

Registered Member

I have a question.
    Isn't rock wool the stuff they use in insulation?
    Jay

Real Name
    Steve

Google says yes. It's mineral, not organic. I gave up on my few plants but will be using my rock wool for a hydroponic greenhouse garden try.

Real Name
    Willie

Aquarium Coop makes a fake cave with a hole on top. Drop your plant with the rock wool substrate into the hole ... and you're done.
    At my age, everything is irritating.