ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: I think I lost my cycle

Default I think I lost my cycle

I think I lost my cycle in one of my 75 G tanks. It’s possible that I over cleaned my sand I do that daily and the last time just did not only skim the surface I dug in a bit to get some of the discoloration/ staining out. The vacuum usually sucks the sand half way the tube and the drops. I also went into my filter (FX4) redistributed the media to accommodate for crushed coral. My test shows a .25 range for ammonia and 0 Nitrite 0 nitrate. I been doing water changes and yesterday I did a 75% change and got the ammonia to 0 but this morning it was back to .25. I added a daily dose of Seachem Stability after each water change and this morning 10 mils of prime to detoxify until I get home and do another water change. This tank was running with a very low stock for quite a while and I added the snails and moved my rams to this tank so it would be easier when I go away for a week and my dog sitter needs to feed the fish.
    Stocked as follows:
    Neon’s 15
    Albino Bushy nose Plecos 3
    Mystery snails 3
    Pitch Black Rams 4
    German Blue Rams 3 large 1 Juvenile

Anybody ever used Fluval FX4 ammonia removal pads I wonder what that would do to the cycle? I think my cycled tank just not keeping up with the load since it's recently added.
    Last edited by Charlyc11; 04-20-2022 at 09:20 AM.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Default Re: I think I lost my cycle

I've never used the ammonia removal pads but I've had excellent success using Seachem Stability.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I've never used the ammonia removal pads but I've had excellent success using Seachem Stability.
    I been adding stability for the last few days and ordered more. This might kill my vacation that's why I considered the ammonia remover since I will have no water changes in 7 days. I though even if I get it stable it would be a safety precaution. The positive is that in a week with small water changes 25% a week and 5 gallons vacuum daily it only showed .25 or less ammonia. It could be that it's just not keeping up yet. Then I find 2 more ABN's spawns one on each 75 G tank moved them to the nursery tank they just eat the BB that make it to the bottom.

plecos.jpg
    Last edited by Charlyc11; 04-20-2022 at 10:41 AM.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Today also I am going to clean the FX4 spray bars and hoses they accumulate a lot of crap and I recall that last maintenance of the filter I neglected to do that. Then a water change and see what happens.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Real Name
    Tom

I doubt you lost your cycle. You may be having a mini cycle because of what you cleaned. But you should be back to normal within a few days. By neutralize with prime your grow bacteria is left with less food. You want to feed it. .25 is ok many people have that in their tap water.

Thanks for the feedback Tom I will keep an eye on it. My worry is a week without water changes when on vacation. I might do a test run to see how high it goes without endangering the fish.
    Last edited by Charlyc11; 04-20-2022 at 12:42 PM.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Real Name
    Jacob_B

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    I doubt you lost your cycle. You may be having a mini cycle because of what you cleaned. But you should be back to normal within a few days. By neutralize with prime your grow bacteria is left with less food. You want to feed it. .25 is ok many people have that in their tap water.
    I'm sure I've read that the ammonia that's made "nontoxic" by prime is still available to the BB to consume. Does anyone know for sure if that's true or not?

Real Name
    Mervin

Quote Originally Posted by dnkn View Post
    I'm sure I've read that the ammonia that's made "nontoxic" by prime is still available to the BB to consume. Does anyone know for sure if that's true or not?
    Yes, that is correct.