ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ro filter questions.

Default Re: Ro filter questions.

Actually, whether or not the eggs hatch will depend on the type of minerals in your water not the total number of minerals. Why not cage the eggs that were laid in your tap water and see if they hatch. Do you happen to know the kH of your tap water?

My eggs used to hatch in 90 TDS water but something weird happened to my water last year. Even when I take my water down to 20 TDS the eggs don't hatch! I did as Cliff suggested to me. I got a1 gallon clear plastic pitcher with an open handle and filled it with straight RO and hung it inside the breeding tank. When the pair spawned I moved the cone to the pitcher full of RO. As long as the parents can see the eggs they will accept the wigglers when they hatch. You can read about it here. What you want starts at post #14. I have 3 cones in RO now. The first already has wigglers. The second pair's eggs should hatch tomorrow, the 3 pair just laid yesterday. http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...s-not-hatching
    Mama Bear

If you go 100% RO way you can use distilled water rather than having to buy a whole RO set up. A gallon of distilled only cost a buck.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Thanks Liz, I have seen the pitcher idea on a video, and they put a airstone in the pitcher aswell , I've just gotten up here in Australia, and it's been 16 hours since laying , about 1/3 of the batch is gone but of the 130 odd eggs left 1/3 of them are infertile.
    So I'd say it is my water, I might do an experiment with the pitcher , or still thinking of ro unit just for breeding, also my LFS sells ro, I think it's 25 cents a litre.
    Also my reason with the ro system is it's only $100 , and saves me trips to LFS and money in the long run.y concern is aswell is that if my water is to hard the eggs won't get fertilized in the first place as they calcifly to quick?
    So if that's the case the even with the pitcher I'm doomed

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12