ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Help me understand please!!

Registered Member

Default Help me understand please!!

Hi I am currently setting up a tank to put discus in but I am trying to understand my tap water before I do so. I tested my water fresh out of my tap and then I tested it 24 hours later, the pH pretty much stayed the same the chlorine went to 0, the nitrate and nitrite has slightly risen.

This is where I get confused my gh and kh look to be the same after aging? Gh looks to be about 8°d and kh looks to be about 10°d .

I will be doing more testing but if this is correct what would your advice be to improve my water.

Thank you for all the replies in advanced

Registered Member

Default Re: Help me understand please!!

Thanks for the reply my pH sits around 7.6-7.8.

Registered Member

I am using the tetra test strips, my tap water had low chlorine but after 24 hours it was down to 0. Tank is 130L, This was just a jug test but I will have a sponge filter for upto 210L .

Out of the tap-
    Nitrate-25
    Nitrite-0
    Gh-8°d
    Kh-10°d
    Chlorine-0-0.8

My tank had a false wall with sponges and a bag of hard things lol don't k ow what they are called sorry.

Real Name
    Brian

Yeah, unfortunately I agree that this tank is much too small for discus unless it's a breeding pair. How many do you plan on getting? It's suggested 10 gallons or 38 liters per adult discus.

Your water seems fine. Ph stability is your goal. Since you are new to discus I suggest you watch this video. http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...TCH-THIS-VIDEO!

Registered Member

I am aiming to completely understand my water before I start but yes it will be a breeding pair that I purchase for the tank that's why I bought a tank this big

Real Name
    Jacob

Have you kept and bred fish before?

I'm keeping mine in my tap water, hardness is through the roof like 18+ and 20+ KH and GH. pH out of the tap is 7 and it ages/aerates to 8.2 in 24 hours in the barrel while preheating.

Registered Member

I have kept fish but I have not vred them but that's why I I trying to get as much advice as I can

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Chaz- have you kept discus before? If not, I suppose you could spend 500-600 bucks on a proven breeding pair and see how things go. My fish have paired up in a community tank but I don't use RO water, my calcium content is probably too high for viable eggs and they eat them but I'm also not actively trying to breed discus. Just seems like it would be a tough go and expensive proposition if you don't have the right conditions or know how to care for discus yet.