ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Fry still attached after 48 hrs.

Default Fry still attached after 48 hrs.

I, and everybody else I'm sure, has gotten sick to death of my posting my excitement about finally having been able to breed my Discus and failing miserably for one reason or another. This time I waited until the fry had been attached for a couple of days before I said anything.

I used Cliff's method of moving the cone to a pitcher full of RO. The kids went free swimming and I put the babies in with the parents. I watched carefully and saw mom scarf 3 of the kids so I took her out and let dad take care of them by himself. There are only about 60 fry but that's enough for me.

This is the pair with the male of my breeding and the female of Al's breeding. They're both good fish but of different types. I'm not sure if I'll get any that have the qualities I'm looking for, but they'll be good fish to offer for sale in any case.

Tomorrow will be my big day. My best pair, both of my own breeding have wigglers that should swim free tomorrow morning. The last time the fry attached to dad. I took mom out because I didn't trust her. I went to the store and when I got back all the babies were gone. It wasn't until later that I figured out what went wrong. I was feeding mom cull neocardia. It seems that mom didn't eat them all. There were some hiding in he sponge. They must have come out and annoyed dad causing him to eat all his own kids. Another lesson learned the hard way.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Default Re: Fry still attached after 48 hrs.

Everything sound good, perfect you have the option to pour some of the free swimmers with the 48 hour fry, good timing.

Cliff

Default Re: Fry still attached after 48 hrs.

The second pair's kids are free swimming. I mom was good and dark this time so I left her in. There are well over 100 fry going back and forth on the sides of their parents. Except, of course, for a handful of albinos that are swimming aimlessly.

I'm going to raise the 2 spawns separately. I want to see what I get from the cross to the red SS female. I have a 3rd spawn with some wigglers that will free swim tomorrow or Tuesday. This is the youngest pair. As an experiment I didn't dripple meth blue over their eggs. I won't do that again. I had good eggs go bad and only have about 10 wigglers left. I'll dump these kids in with the good pair's fry. Since there so few the parents aren't paying much attention. They will be eaten for sure.
    Mama Bear