AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Bacterial Bloom

Registered Member
    Real Name
    andy cooperman

Default Bacterial Bloom

I am dealing with a challenging and confusing situation in my 90 gallon discus tank.
    The tank has been running pretty much as is now for about three years.
    Plenty of live plants, substrate, etc.
    The tank has always been stable. I do 40% water changes once a week and have done so for as long as I’ve had the tank . Properly dechlorinated with Prime or a similar product.
    A school of medium sized discus, a few cardinals and rummy nose and a trio of rams. 85-86F. (This, we’ve found, seems to be the key to rams, at least for us.)

Around November last year, the ph changed from 7.2 or so down to the low sixes. This was accompanied by an ammonia spike. Can’t recall how high…
    The fish were all fine and my research indicated that at lower pH ammonia becomes less of an issue as it exists as ammonium. (Please don’t pile on with comments about my lack of chemical acumen…).
    The tank had always had a higher pH which was in line with my Seattle WA tap water. Rather than buffer it down I figured that a higher constant ph is better than a shifting, even lower, one.
    In any case, until November all things were stable. pH of about 7.2, 0 ammonia…..

At some point, the ammonia dropped to 0 but the pH remained low but at around 6.5. This is the new normal... The nitrate has always been in the 10 ppm area. Nitrite 0. Ammonia 0. Things stayed that way until a couple weeks ago.

At that point I noticed a cloudiness. This wasn’t too bad and the water parameters were fine. On Tuesday I did my water change as always and the next day the tank is milky. Ammonia is back up to 1. Nitrate remains the same. Fish seem fine. pH is 6.5. So pH, Nitrate, temp., is all the same. Tap water tests as it always has…

My first reaction is more water changes but it seems that only worsens the problem and somehow resets the cycle—maybe some sort of mini crash. So I’ve decided to let it ride the week out unless the ammonia rises. I’ve held back food for a day or two, although there has been no change to the amount or type of food they have received over the last three years.

Something seems to be crashing the biology. I did a rigorous grave vac at the time of the water change (I always do a little, but this was a bit more) but I have not entered or fussed with the filter (canister) which has been the filter the whole time. Plenty of surface agitation. I also run a Ziss fluid bed filter and a UV. I’ve unplugged the UV (but not the Ziss) for a few days since I’ve added beneficial bacteria culture. My thinking is that anything I can do to help the beneficial bacteria out compete the new cloud might help.

Right now, I’m letting things ride and seeing if the cloud begins to disappoint and the ammonia drops back down.
    Any ideas? Similar experiences? Any insights are welcome.

here's the water change regimen that I have done weekly for three years:
    I’ve always changed the water the same way:
    -I siphon water from the tank out the window or toilet…
    -Meanwhile, I have a 36 gallon plastic garbage can, which I’ve had from the beginning, on a wheeled platform. Two years ago I plumbed hot and cold water from my basement to a faucet that is hidden under the tank in cabinetry. This allows me to regulate temp right there instead of running down to the basement and adjust. A short RV hose (potable water) runs between the faucet and the trash can.
    -With temp adjusted I add Prime, etc.
    -When the plastic bin is full, I plug in a pump that moves the new water from the trash bin, through an RV hose and up into the tank.
    -Standard operating procedure.
    As I write this, I wonder if maybe the plastic in the trash bin is making things worse. Perhaps it’s broken down……

Thanks, Andy

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Bacterial Bloom

A few observations Andy...

have not entered or fussed with the filter (canister) which has been the filter the whole time
    So whatever poop etc within the filter etc is never cleaned out. Seems most folks clean a canister filter once a month or more. Cleaning this sucker may be a right step in the right direction.

If I was in your shoes I would suggest doing two water changes a week until you get the cloud figured out. Also if you do a deep clean of the substrate be aware a deep substrate can trap gases which can harm the fish if disturbed.

Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Mervin

Hi and welcome. My thinking is with 40% WC over three years that there was always 60% of old water left behind each time and got depleted of it's KH (used up it's bicarbonates) and thus more difficult to stay stable. Plus the other nutrients have built up such as phosphorous and others. You say planted tank so you can't consider a low nitrate reading to be much to go by. Sort'a like old "tank syndrome"; google that. Like mentioned a good rinse of your media will help get rid of the sludge that has build up on it preventing (smothering) O2 from getting at the BB. Could be a ph crash that may have hindered the BB. Like mentioned more WC's and substrate cleaning should correct the issue.

Real Name
    Mervin

Just another thought. I would change the water over a period of a week rather than one big WC and cleaning. Due to the chemical difference in the new and old water (increase in TDS and DOC over time). You don't want to stress with sudden changes.