ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Tank Exploded!

Registered Member

Unhappy Tank Exploded!

Hello all!

I’m very sad to announce that during the night my tank literally exploded! The fish, all water, wood pieces and sand all ended up on ground… I managed to save 3 discus - all grown up pigeons… all other fish died…

My 3 pigeons are bruised, fins are cutted, but they are safe in 100 litre tank I used to treat sick fish. I will buy a new 450 litres tank and get it delivered this week but will they be okey in a group of three for some time? Because All my money went to buying new tank and cabinet… I want my fish to be happy but sometimes I think that God or any other form above doesn’t want me to keep discus or tank at all…

Thank You and all help will be appreciated!

Default Re: Tank Exploded!

They should be fine. You might want to add 2 tablespoons of salt per 10 US gallons of water to prevent infection and help with stress.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Thank You, I will add salt this evening. I just know that they need a group of at least 6 so I’m worried that they will have to live just 3 for a couple of months.

Real Name
    Brian

Sorry to hear this. Hopefully they will make it through this. Yes, 6 is better as a group but they should be fine until you can reset everything.

They are used to being together by now.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

How old was tank>
    Acrylic or Glass?

Registered Member

Hello all!

Thank You all for replies! They are doing better now, swimming happily in emergency tank as it seems. They don’t exept food but I think It’s stress because it was like 2-3 minutes from me jumoing from bed and picking discus into bucket with water from tap. I disolved uniodized salt of 2 tablespoons per 40 litres.

The tank was 7 years old, opti-glass but the glass braces connecting back and front glass was reglued and there was air bubbles in silicone. The fron glass was bended a little (about 1cm) but company eho buikt the tank said it is all good. As what happened left brace unglued and become loose and the front glass was unable to handle the pressure anymore.

Now I’m bought new tank, I ordered it from my friends in aquatic shop, the new tank is made in Poland by Aquel, as I remeber havung their tank when I was young, my parents still have it and it is like 15 y.o. and all good!

Real Name
    Jacob

That is an absolute nightmare scenario for me and sounds absolutely awful. Sorry your discus took a beating, I'm sure they'll be feeling better after a few days. That had to be pretty rough.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Sorry to hear this and sounds things will be returning to normal soon
    Chin up,
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Thank You all for support!

I got an email that new tank is arriving tommorrow’s morning, so I will try to recreate their tank as closely as possible as it was before.

Also, the 3 discus left is a breeding pair and a female, and the breeding pair chase her around very much so she just stays at the top cormer pf the tank. Maybe I should give her to my godmother as ahe has huuuuuge discus tank about the same size?

That sounds like a good idea.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

I’m thinking the same about giving her to my godmother.

Also one of discus has protruding eyes, they are about 2-3mm out of his body, but I don’t remeber if it was before like this. He is eating already, not loosing colour, and seems happy. Also the the eye is not cloudy or something, just clear red and black in the middle as in tyoical pigeon blood discus.

What should I do? Maybe add some antibiotics?

Registered Member

Here is the photos of his eyes
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

Here he is in the bath of antibiotics and a little Sera Ectopur
    Attached Images Attached Images