AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Discus eye protruding

Registered Member

Default Discus eye protruding

Hello,

After my tank had exploded into room with all the fish and water, I noticed that one of my discus has protruding eyes, I just can’t tell if it was always this way or it’s a new situation.

What do you guys think? Does your discus you keep sometimes has protruding eyes?

Here is a couole of photos of this fish! Every informoation will be appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Discus eye protruding

It doesn't look too bad. Keep an eye on it. Keep up with water changes and salt. If it gets worse or looks like an infection, kanamycin or Erythromycin are good meds for internal infections.

Registered Member

Thank You! I just found some older images and he always had these eyes, even when he was 10cm. Maybe it is not desease but just a born abormality? Because overall he looks pretty healthy and fights for food, also there is no inflamation or excess tissue, it’s just that his eyes are a little more protruding (around 2-3mm)

Real Name
    Brian

I don't know the cause but it's quite common. I've noticed this is some many discus but more so in PB's. They just seem to have big eyes, lol. As long as they are equal it should be fine. If one (or both) gets larger then there is cause for concern from possible infection.

They've been through a traumatic ordeal so there can be issues that are either stress or injury related that may not show up for a few days. Treating with clean water and a little salt can help prevent a minor issue from turning bad. A good appetite is the best sign...

Registered Member

Thank You Brian. I will monitor him as see how it develops!

Registered Member

Also I checked hundreds of pop-eye desease photos on Discus fish and mine doesnmt look like it at all. The eye looks normal, no swelling around it, no excess tissue, just that the eye is a little more protruding than other fish eyes. Maybe it’s just a defect in genetics?

Also I could give away fish to my godmother but he is very beutiful to me. His form is just perfect!

Registered Member

This is his eyes totally from front in a newly setup tank A6CF0A71-C16F-4B8C-B8DA-72D3476B3312.jpg

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

I see that commonly in my fish as well.

Registered Member

Thank You mleibowi. But does that dossapear in time or it’s just fish is left like this?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

I think it's genetics.

Registered Member

So it’s from the beggining of fish life to an end?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

I think it's likely genetic. If that's true, I think you are stuck with fish with protruding eyes. If it gets better or worse, then likely an infection causing the proptosis.

Registered Member

I don't think it's genetic, look at the first photo see the solid white at the base of the eye, the white is not translucent probably permanent from an infection. I had someone that got some Discus from me, the person picked out the fish from my tank, a week later he said that
    those fish had this problem. OK, come over and show me the problem, so this person looks in the same tank with the same fish couldn't
    find one fish with this problem.

Cliff

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

I think it's so difficult to say Cliff. We can speculate. Either way, if the fish is healthy I'd just accept it the way it is.

Registered Member

Thanks Cliff and Mleibowi in the photo is more saturated and that white is kinda translicent at the base of the eye in real life. He is eating and already spawning with his female in a newly set up tank so I will just live with him being a little unique.