ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Blue Light fry attachment

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Cengiz

Default Blue Light fry attachment

Hi all,
    I finally found a solution for my non-parenting Platinum Albinos. A day before free swimming, I shook the cone over my red melon pair that had spawned half a day before the Platinums. An hour later, all the wrigglers were on the same spawning cone.
    I covered the sponge with white filter cloth, set my light to blue, and lowered the water the next day. Now I have over 200 fry on the pair.

Now, here is the new problem.
    Whenever I turn my lights back to white, the fry get scattered all around the aquarium, especially to the top front corners.
    So, I switch the blue leds back up and they go back to the parents.
    I thought once they bond, they wouldn't go anywhere else but their parents backs.
    Should I just wait longer? Is there any other solution?
    Any suggestions?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Cengiz

Default Re: Blue Light fry attachment

This is them, Under the blue moon

20220506_173450.jpg

2.jpg

Registered Member

Yanking the fry off of the cone is not good causes are bent mouths and deform faces.

Discus don't need light in the dark to see they use their lateral lines as a extra sense awareness in the dark unlike humans we need the light to see. Similar to fish in caves there is no light. I was away on vacation so I had my lights off, well the fishroom was pitch dark but looking at two pairs of albinos they were caring for their fry.

Cliff

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Cengiz

Thanks for the info Cliff. I had read that you could move eggs, but not fry, but your explanation was never mentioned. It made more sense as to why.
    I will have to cull those deformed ones. In the meantime, I have to figure out a way to get the albinos to take care of the babies. They were eating the eggs. I fenced them, then they ate the fry. I saw the female eating the fry, but don't know if the male is completely innocent.
    No matter how dark I turn the lights, or lower the water, the Platinums still look very white.
    I can leave the lights off, but then I can't see what's going on
    What do you think about the fry getting away when I turn the lights back on? Should I just wait? Would they get back to the parents after a while?

Registered Member

Turning the light probably shock the fry. You can wait till the fry return to the parents this should not be too long. If the fry don't return to the parents make the parents quiver by tapping on the glass, turning off the air bubbles or even placing your hand in the aquarium. By making the pair quiver they are signaling the fry to return their body.

Cliff