ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Discus Laying eggs

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Robert Holt

Default Discus Laying eggs

A pair of my discus laid eggs! My two largest discus, a females Cobalt and a male Snake Skin finally laid eggs! This is actually the second time, but I never really got to see them the first time. They are laying them on a sword plant in the back of the tank. This is day 3, I hope to have some free swimming soon. They are in my 120 with 4 other discus, some Cardinal Tetras, a few catfish, and a couple of Angels. Look like I will need to set up a breeding tank soon. If these survive to free swimming I may pull them and raise the artificially.

Robert

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Discus Laying eggs

They may not hatch depending on the hardness of your water. But it's nice to know you may have a pair. Breeder tank and RO water are next on your list...

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Robert Holt

They seem to be remaining viable, not seeing many turn white. I haven't measured GH or KH lately, but my water hardness is typically pretty low. I mostly use RO water.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Cengiz

I'd protect the eggs with a mesh if possible. The other fish may be interested in eating the eggs.

Real Name
    Steve

Congrats and good luck. I'm wondering why you would raise them artificially. You are going to need other tank space for them anyway, so why not let the parents try? I think watching them is one of the best parts of the hobby. Eventually you remove the parents and then have to have enough tank space for the fry to grow. I suppose being able to raise them artificially is a technical feat that could be satisfying, but was never my thing. If this batch doesn't make it, they'll try again.

Artificially raising Discus is way more work than you think. I agree with Steve. Let the parents try.
    Mama Bear