AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Municipal Water-Algae Bloom-Water Changes HELP!

Registered Member Pet Detective's Avatar
    Real Name
    Bernie

Default Municipal Water-Algae Bloom-Water Changes HELP!

While I initiated a treatment in my tank for HEX, one discus died one day after the first treatment. This discus had been sick for a while and would not eat anything. Then, when the other discus stopped eating about 4 weeks ago, I began to monitor the tank a little more closely and read other threds about the same thing. I finally determined that the discus did not have worms, it must be some other bacterial disease, and metro was the recommended treatment.
    One day after beginning the treatment, the weak discus died, I continued the metro each day after with 100% water changes daily. Two days after this treatment plan my blue cobalt mosaic discus began to darken. He is pretty dark at this writing but active in the tank and engages with the other discus.
    Continuing my daily water changes for four more days, I receive a notice from the county water authority that there has been a massive algae bloom in the reservoir that serves our neighborhood. This began 14 days ago, at the time I started to see increased symptoms of HES. Here is what the authorities have told me about the spike of algae in the water:
    1. There is an unpleasant smell in the tap water
    2. The Algae bloom has cause an uncommon rise in "geosmin" in the water
    3. The concentration they have recorded is "8" nanograms per liter of water
    4. The county treated the reservoir with Pernangate (potassium) on May 5th, to oxidize the algae before it reaches the basin, which later releases the water to the public system.
    The representative at the water authority also advised me that they routinely add bleach to the basin to kill contaminants before releasing the water into the public system.
    After reading all this, can any of you honestly tell me if it will be safe for me to do another water change in my tank. I have been apprehensive to do so because of the recent change in the water supply to my address and the effect it might have on my other discus.
    YES, there is a lot going on in my tank, and I have stopped the metro treatment for HEX and have lowered the temp to 82 degrees and added salt as the treatment for now. One discus has turned dark, all others seem normal, some are not eating, but the food disappears after I leave the room. NO other meds, only salt. last water change was three days ago.
    I feel like I need to do a water change and add fresh salt to the tank, but I am afraid to do so.
    Any opinions from the water experts regarding the algae bloom?
    Pet Detective

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Municipal Water-Algae Bloom-Water Changes HELP!

Geosmin itself shouldn't be that much of an issue because it's basically related to just the odor of the water. But with the PP and bleach and whatever else they may be adding you do have reason to be concerned. I would install a sediment and carbon block filter. This should take care of the chlorine and most other contents related to taste and odor.

Registered Member Pet Detective's Avatar
    Real Name
    Bernie

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    Geosmin itself shouldn't be that much of an issue because it's basically related to just the odor of the water. But with the PP and bleach and whatever else they may be adding you do have reason to be concerned. I would install a sediment and carbon block filter. This should take care of the chlorine and most other contents related to taste and odor.
    Thank you for your feedback. I actually have water filter on the hose that fills the aging barrel that remove chlorine and other contaniments from the water. I will move forward with a water change and post back if I see any problems going on in the tank.
    Pet Detective

Real Name
    Willie

As someone who does a 100% water change every morning, let me be the first to suggest you stop changing water for a bit. And when you do, triple the dechloraminator you're using. Whether it's Safe, AmQuel, ChlorAm-X, the fish will not be affected by 10X the dosage.

What the water treatment center may not mention is that they also triple the level of chlorine/chloramine in the water. We see this every Fall in the Midwest. Leaves get caught into the sewage system and a bacterial bloom happens. Municipal water treatment facilities routinely sends a high dosage of chlorine through the system. Most people don't notice this unless - of course, you change 100% of the water daily. If my fish are not incredibly happy after the water change, I just add a few more capfuls of the dechlor.

With your steady water change regimen, your tanks are very clean anyway. Your fish will be fine for 1 - 2 weeks without the water change. If it worries you, just cut back on the feeding. No poop, no water quality degradation.

Good luck, Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Brian

Absolutely correct! Spring and Fall weather changes can wreak havoc on water supplies!