AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to post comments, etc.

Registered Member
    Texas City, Texas. 20 miles from Houston.
    Real Name
    Nathan Sonnier

Default Re: How to post comments, etc.

I was just as amazed as you. Never seen such a transformation before. It was so subtle that I didn't even realize it had happened until change was complete. I responded to this a little while ago, but don't know if it posted. Still getting the hang of this. Please be patient.

Registered Member

Nsonnier, here you go, on this photo some of the fry don't have a straight spinal or a very curved near the tail making it difficult to swim in straight direction. What's the problem? Could be genetic from line or inbreeding or to much water movement or all of the above.

By the way, do you know the Discus breeder at NASA?

Cheer!
    Cliff

I guess the photo on post #7 didn't transfer to this posting, look on your upper right corner and you will
    see the posted thread #.
    Last edited by CliffsDiscus; 05-20-2022 at 12:37 PM.

I know which pic. It's the first pic you posted in this thread. Post #7. Cliff, I want to know what you see, too. How do you tell a fry with a bent spine from one just wiggling it's little body around as it swims. You teach me so much.
    Mama Bear

I see one toward the middle part of the upper right of the pic. I see 2 others that may be doing what you describe. One is on the middle part on the left side the other is on the right side of the middle. Is that what you're seeing. I would have thought that they were just moving their bodies as they were swimming
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Nsonnier View Post
    OK guys- I'm gonna try to make this happen. I have a young pr. of Red Alenquer discus. I can sex discus when they reach a certain size. The thing that's harder is their age. Some people concentrate on fast growth. Some don't. I raised 10 2.5" to 5" in 4 mths. They were 3 mths. old when I got them. The point is that you can't really tell how old your fish are when they start breeding because if you don't raise them yourself, you don't know how they were fed etc. If you think discus females have to be 9 mths. old and males have to be older to be fertile; unless YOU know how old they are, who's to say that breeder or owner didn't optimize their growth? My PB pr. have been spawning since long before they were a yr. old. I raised them from puppies so I know they were same age. Guys (and ladies), if my earth shaking revelations are old news to you, remember- I've had to read old posts and debunked theories for yrs. because I wasn't a part of your group. Almost never could I read a post within 1 yr. of the yr. I was reading. I had trial and error to educate me. I'm gonna try to send you a couple of pics of my 2 active prs. now. Not working. I go to "tree" and options don't let me see what I'm sending.
    I'm so glad that you're taking the time to learn the forum. The software here is old. I hope Al will get it changed to something more user friendly. All forums prefer to be viewed on a computer rather than the phone. It's not facebook. We have actual discussions and conversation?

As far as age of Discus before they reach maturity, I'm working on my own strain of Blue SS's. Lucky me. My particular fish take forever before they reach breeding and almost wait until hell freezes over before they reach full fertility. I was about to take 3 fish to the LFS because I decided they must be all the same sex. Suddenly they put on a growth spirt and this morning they were taken out of the tank with the fish that don't want to give me joy into a love nest of their own. I can almost guarantee that when they spawn their fertility won't be good. I only get get a good fertile spawn from my old pair. They must be over 4 years old.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I see one toward the middle part of the upper right of the pic. I see 2 others that may be doing what you describe. One is on the middle part on the left side the other is on the right side of the middle. Is that what you're seeing. I would have thought that they were just moving their bodies as they were swimming
    Ok
    Liz, the fry at this stage should have a spinal straight as an arrow. On the photo notice from the center of each fish the deformities starts by the curve spinal. I think you name all of them but this is a very large percentage out only 18 fry shown.

Cliff

I see. Straight as an arrow. Thank you for the lesson.
    Mama Bear

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12