ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Added a third filter to the 75gallon

Real Name
    Dave

Default Added a third filter to the 75gallon

Years ago I purchased a Fluval FX6 with the intention of having a spray bar for the output.... well I couldn't find a spray bar pre-made, and never got around to making one.

I found a spray bar the other day made for the FX line of Fluval canister filters and picked one up. Today I added the FX6 to the Fluval 406 and the AquaClear 110.

I figure doing this gives me a total of 83 gallons of water for the 75 gallon tank and will move enough water to help get rid of nitrates (yes I have plants in the tank for that too.). We made the news for high nitrates in well water in our county... I am on city water, but I have measured nitrates from the tap at 20ppm. I do use Seachem Matrix in my filters as it helps control nitrates.

The installation was super easy, and the FX6 is super quiet.

Now waiting for some fish to arrive via UPS.

Dave
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

Default Re: Added a third filter to the 75gallon

Quote Originally Posted by dagray View Post
    Years ago I purchased a Fluval FX6 with the intention of having a spray bar for the output.... well I couldn't find a spray bar pre-made, and never got around to making one.

I found a spray bar the other day made for the FX line of Fluval canister filters and picked one up. Today I added the FX6 to the Fluval 406 and the AquaClear 110.

I figure doing this gives me a total of 83 gallons of water for the 75 gallon tank and will move enough water to help get rid of nitrates (yes I have plants in the tank for that too.). We made the news for high nitrates in well water in our county... I am on city water, but I have measured nitrates from the tap at 20ppm. I do use Seachem Matrix in my filters as it helps control nitrates.

The installation was super easy, and the FX6 is super quiet.

Now waiting for some fish to arrive via UPS.

Dave
    I got the spray bar for mine from a vendor that supports SimplyDiscus forum from Amazon and he gave me a 10 % discount refund in Amazon since I was a member.
    Flow Tamer Spray bars they are awesome.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Charlyc11 View Post
    I got the spray bar for mine from a vendor that supports SimplyDiscus forum from Amazon and he gave me a 10 % discount refund in Amazon since I was a member.
    Flow Tamer Spray bars they are awesome.
    Seems like a lot of filtration.

Real Name
    Mervin

You won't need a FX6 for a 75 gal. One or two 110 AC would do a 75 gal. SeaChem matrix will not remove nitrate. It converts ammonia to nitrite to nitrate. The best way to remove nitrates are though WC's or use RO water. Not sure what if any thing with an iron exchange for nitrate is on the market. The plants will help some but then again with plants come more maintenance especially substrate cleaning. I had a FX6 on a six foot 125 gal, and it was just right for a tank that size.

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    ...Not sure what if any thing with an iron exchange for nitrate is on the market...
    Nothing practical.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Dave

I know I am over filtering, but I prefer over filtration. I turned the FX6 to its lowest setting. I also like redundant systems so if I lose a pump on the AC110 or Fluval 406 I still am filtering enough water per hour.
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

Real Name
    Tom

Yeah I think your way over filtering. Thing with the fx6 is you’ve lowered the output but that doesn’t lower or slow down the speed of the motor. So what you’ve done is reduce the flow leaving the filter which I would think is now adding more stress to the motor. I’ve got the fx6 and it’s not that good anyway. Stopping the flow isn’t going to make it better.
    The thing with matrix is it’s just another media to collect bacteria to complete your cycle. The whole nitrate eating thing only work if you never clean the filter. And it just barely works. But when you do clean the filter all your nitrate eating bacteria dies and has to regrow. Usually about 6 months or when it’s time to clean the filter.