AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Egg eating

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Default Egg eating

I have 2 "pairs" of discus- one pair and the other 3 discus that breed together. They all eat their eggs within 12-24h after. I'm not trying to breed them, but I'm wondering if I'm doing something to cause them to eat their eggs? Is this normal behavoir?

Real Name
    Steve

Default Re: Egg eating

Just my thoughts.
    They are healthy and comfortable enough to spawn, which they want to do of course (good!), but even if you have m/f pairs, they are either too young or don't consider the environment good enough for rearing.
    Yes, it's normal.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Thanks Steve. Maybe they are too young. I think the environment is pretty great. I'm becoming more of a minimalist. I got rid of a rock and 2 large pieces of driftwood. I'm trying to give them more swimming space.

Real Name
    Brian

They could be too young but some never get it right. There was a reason I named one of mine EESOB, lol...

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

So a new pair formed and laid eggs on a a leave and partially on the glass. Others snuck in and ate them, whomp whomp. Again would love a successful spawn, not the goal of my discus fish keeping, but I think it reflects a healthy group that now all but 2 are spawning in some capacity.