ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Acrylic tank builders in New England area

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Prashant

Default Acrylic tank builders in New England area

hi Folks,
    I am looking for an acrylic tank builder in new england. I don't want to go with the mass-produced route. I live in Mass and can drive to RI , CT or NH for pickup.

Prashant

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Acrylic tank builders in New England area

I here you but . My mass produced 180.907DEA60-4356-44D9-A8ED-A438163C826B.jpg. Bought from petsmart and delivered to my house.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Prashant

That is a beautiful tank. My only problem is that the mass-produced tanks use lesser thickness than needed. My 50 gallon sea clear aquarium uses 1/4 inch acrylic which is not enough and bows in the middle and not to mention puts a lot of stress on the seams.
    What brand and size is your aquarium

Real Name
    Tom

I’ve got that sea clear. Yes it bows but it’s a great tank. The 180 is a clear for life. Also have a125 and a 90 by that company. And a 30 yr old clarity plus with a 2” craze on it. My180 has 1/2 acrylic the others are 3/8. Thing is acrylic is at least 3 times stronger than glass. And all seams are welded.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Prashant

I know acrylic is stronger than glass and that's why I only have acrylic tanks. But that strength is only for shatter strength. I have welded small acrylic boxes myself and I know how it works but every joint has its limits. acrylic thickness is a function of the height of the tank and that's where the big manufacturers make their money by charging for half-inch and using only 3/8 inch. so when a tank is bowing it is putting extra pull on the joints and maybe not right away but at some point in the years , those joints will fail violently. If the tank is a smaller tank like 30-50 gallons then that's a smaller risk of flooding but when you want 100+ gallons then that's a huge risk of water damage to the house.
    A custom tank is the best way to mitigate the risk. I found a builder but he is in Virginia and wants to charge almost as much as the tank to ship. That's why I want someone local I can pick up from.

Real Name
    Tom

Ok there’s somebody on the east coast the builds acrylic tanks. Not sure of the name but sell on eBay. I’ve got to say the only acrylics I’ve heard of failing were custom built ones. I’ve never heard or read about failing acrylics from the big manufacturers. That’s what put tenacor out of business. Again I’ve got a 30yr old clarity plus 125 running now. 30yrs is a long time and it’s got a craze on the front panel.

Real Name
    Tom

Acrylic creations aquariums. Pennsylvania.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Prashant

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Ok there’s somebody on the east coast the builds acrylic tanks. Not sure of the name but sell on eBay. I’ve got to say the only acrylics I’ve heard of failing were custom built ones. I’ve never heard or read about failing acrylics from the big manufacturers. That’s what put tenacor out of business. Again I’ve got a 30yr old clarity plus 125 running now. 30yrs is a long time and it’s got a craze on the front panel.
    Tenecor is still in business. I was going to order their 125 but they raised their prices like 25% and so has everyone else I think now.
    Clarity plus is now clear for life I think

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Prashant

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Acrylic creations aquariums. Pennsylvania.
    Will check them out

Real Name
    Tom

Looks like the name tenacore is back but I doubt it’s the same company. In the late 90s they changed their acrylic supplier. But the new supplier’s acrylic didn’t hold up. Many broken tanks and lawsuits put them under. Their original tanks were very well made and are still around. A few years ago I saw the tenacore name reappear but know nothing about them. Not sure what happened to clarity plus. They made great tanks. I’m very happy with my clear for life tanks. Check the petsmart site. They do have sales on them. As for custom tanks. Yes the prices have skyrocketed. From covid. The acrylic was used for all of the cough guards stores and businesses were forced to use. Bringing up the price. Next with all the people stuck home the fish keeping hobby had a huge growth spurt. Again raising prices. The customs will cost more and be more expensive to ship.