ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Beneficial bacteria on stones,driftwood

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dr.Ganesan

Default Beneficial bacteria on stones,driftwood

I understand that beneficial bacteria grow on driftwood, stones substrate etc. I was thinking of stripping my large planted aquarium and keep discus with drift wood and stones from the planted aquarium that is well established for over 3 years on a bare bottom aquarium. My doubt is do the beneficial bacteria grow only on the exposed parts of the stones or also do the beneficial bacteria grow on the areas if stones submerged under the substrate.

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Beneficial bacteria on stones,driftwood

Beneficial bacteria grows on all surfaces in the fish tank. Under and above the substrate. But most of your bb is in the filter. So by just running the filter your tank will be fine. I’ve done what your doing. Plus put the plants into pots. Works great935B763B-4472-4747-B538-82B80838EF5E.jpg

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dr.Ganesan

Thank you yes maximum bb would probably be on the filter and adding plants in pots would surely help...those rummy nose tetras look great,what is that fish that looks like an emperor tetra with a strong horizontal stripe...the vallisneria, Java ferns and anubias look great,simple and easy to siphon the bottom.
    Last edited by ganesan; 06-06-2022 at 09:27 AM.

Registered Member

Bacteria coats everything including the tank walls, driftwood, heater, etc.
    A mature tank with sand/gravel, wood, rock work does not need external biofiltration. Filtration is important for mechanical and chemical filtration though.

Anyway, since most experienced discus people do frequent water changes - making biofiltration even less important