AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Pair formed; Moved to new tank- What's next?

Registered Member

Question Pair formed; Moved to new tank- What's next?

Hi all,

I have a batch of 15 wild discus that lived in a 210-gallon tank. I had acquired them in march 2022 from an importer.
    Fast forward to March 2022 when I started seeing a few pairs form. One pair, in particular, was late to form but kept laying eggs almost every 6th day. One time I even think I saw a wiggler from that pair.

So, recently, I decided to pull that pair out to a different tank. I put them in a 40-breeder tank with a cone. Initially I put them in the same water as the tank but a few days later I started mixing some RO water in the tank. Now the tank’s parameters are as follows-
    Temp- 80F | pH 6.7 | Kh 45 ppm | Gh 60 ppm

The tank is surrounded by three sides with brown/black paint or paper. I haven’t put any lights on it either. I have been giving them live blackworms and white worms since they came to this new 40B. And, they eat everything during the night.
    However, they stay nose down for the rest of the day. The tank is bare bottom with a plywood as the base.
    What would you all suggest I do to make them feel more comfortable and start spawning again in this new tank?
    The new tank has a sponge filter running in there.

Real Name
    Dave

Default Re: Pair formed; Moved to new tank- What's next?

put some driftwood in the tank or something for them to hide behind. they are being shy due to a new environment.
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Sumer, how long have they been nose down? Too me it sounds like they ate too much. Also did you keep the temp at 80 in the large tank?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Since this pair spawn in the large tank you might want to duplicate the same water parameters. By the way are you feeding yogurt to the white worms?

Cliff

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Hi Sumer, how long have they been nose down? Too me it sounds like they ate too much. Also did you keep the temp at 80 in the large tank?
    Pat
    They usually swim normal when I see them in the camera (I have a camera close to the tank) but go nose down when I am in the fishroom.
    Yes, the temp was 80F in the main tank as well.
    Meaning, the temp hasn't changed from the main tank to the breeding tank. Only the water has gone soft.

I have been reading through your thread and I learned one thing in the first 10 pages or so- do frequent water changes. So I did a water change last night and the female was staring at the cone after it.
    I also added a driftwood to the tank and that seems to have helped a little!
    Last edited by sumer; 06-08-2022 at 06:54 PM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post
    Since this pair spawn in the large tank you might want to duplicate the same water parameters. By the way are you feeding yogurt to the white worms?

Cliff
    I did keep the same parameters for about a week before starting to perform water changes with soft water.
    Yes, I do feed them with yogurt and wheat bread. Why do you ask? Is that a cause for concern?

Registered Member

In an overview when the Discus pair were spawning by moving the pair the spawning cycle was broken. Each pair is different as to when they will start their spawning cycle again, but since the female is interested in the cone its a good sign. As for the concern of using yogurt with the white worms it can add too much fat to the Discus which would make the fish sluggish, just use water on the bread.

Cliff

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post
    In an overview when the Discus pair were spawning by moving the pair the spawning cycle was broken. Each pair is different as to when they will start their spawning cycle again, but since the female is interested in the cone its a good sign. As for the concern of using yogurt with the white worms it can add too much fat to the Discus which would make the fish sluggish, just use water on the bread.

Cliff
    Thanks for your suggestion. I usually add low fat yogurt but I will refrain from using yogurt now. Just water and bread.