AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Vacation Water Temp

Real Name
    Jacob

Default Vacation Water Temp

We're leaving for about a week in about ten days. Because of continued battling of a non-eater, my discus tank has been at 93 for a couple of weeks. My goal is to start lowering it tonight, I usually go down a degree every couple of days, which would put me down to about 88 or so when we leave.
    I have someone coming to feed the cats, but am not having them feed the fish as I feel risk outweighs the reward. Even though "just put one worm cube in when you come to feed the cats once a day" seems really easy to me... I don't want to come back to a disaster.

I'd like to have the temp a bit lower to bring their metabolism down some. Does anyone have a certain temp they try to hit for extending fasting or in the absence of water changes? I think Stendker's pamphlet says to lower down to 82. Mine haven't been down below 85 since I received them. Is a degree every couple of days an OK rate? Could I go cooler, faster?
    Last edited by jwcarlson; 06-09-2022 at 03:11 PM.

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Vacation Water Temp

I keep all mine at 82 all the time unless dealing with an illness. Lowering the temp by 3-5 degrees per day should not hurt a healthy discus. Maybe go a bit slower for the non-eater?

Real Name
    Jacob

The non-eater went to go not eat in discus heaven as on today, so that problem resolved itself. I'll get them down to 82ish before we go. Thanks, Brian!

Real Name
    Brian

Sorry to hear that. I think you did all you could do...