Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 scared discus in the group

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tinoush

Default 3 scared discus in the group

Hi huys,
    I got 8 stendker that are between 10 to 15 cm. 1.5 year old
    3 of them (blue diamant, snake skin red & checkerboard) are hiding all the time. In the beginning it was not like this. It's a ranking issue.
    They don't eat and i have to spot feed them with artemia shrimps and when they do, they eat in all horror. Getting chased by there higher rank. Shaking begging and eating some. I have separated the checkerboard couple of time and after 4 weeks it eats like is nothing going on. But when i put him back, it's all over again in a few days. Sometimes they come out and eat a little but the blue diamant actually never eats with the rest. Only spot feeding with artemia helps. I have reduced water change form twice a week to once a week. It seems too many water changes is stressing them out even more. So my questions is to hang on a bit more so thing work out(12 weeks now) or get a bigger tank maybe? it's 350 liters now. Water quality is perfect no issues there. Don't really know what to do with these 3. They are healthy because when i separate them they eat normal again.

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: 3 scared discus in the groupe

This has happened both times with the stendker. Best bet is to permanently remove these guys into there own tank. For me I’ve lost all of the runts over time.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tinoush

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    This has happened both times with the stendker. Best bet is to permanently remove these guys into there own tank. For me I’ve lost all of the runts over time.
    Thanks for the replay. So i have to look at them as a bad patch that dies in the end. So buy more? I really don't want to run a second tank all the time. They do eat. But not all the time.

Real Name
    Tom

Thing is by themselves they may make a come back. Next I found you must change water daily till 4” and than every other day till 5”. Once this big they usually do good.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tinoush

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Thing is by themselves they may make a come back. Next I found you must change water daily till 4” and than every other day till 5”. Once this big they usually do good.
    ok they are at least 5 inch. so after how many water changes you should give up if nothing happens?
    and amount of water change?
    Last edited by Tinzo; 06-20-2022 at 10:18 AM.

Real Name
    Tom

Ok if 5” and getting abused it’s best to either give them there own tank or sell them to a local pet store. Do you have pics of them??

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tinoush

here was everything good. Checkerboard was back from qt and was happy again

This is now and the filter is off. So it is a big imrovement because they are all out again. just checkerboard is hiding, Again. I always have problem with him.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tinoush

I have to say WC helps. Im gonna do 30% tomorrow and every other day.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tinoush

Nope. all back hiding again. Maybe get more? to 10?
    Last edited by Tinzo; 06-21-2022 at 01:55 PM.

Registered Member

Your Discus looked nervous. Might try to reduce the amount of water change to 10% daily, if that works then move up to 20% daily. The Blue Diamonds are more fussy on the water quality and require more water changes then the Pigeons Bloods.

Cliff

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tinoush

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post
    Your Discus looked nervous. Might try to reduce the amount of water change to 10% daily, if that works then move up to 20% daily. The Blue Diamonds are more fussy on the water quality and require more water changes then the Pigeons Bloods.

Cliff
    Thanks for the help buddy. I'll start the water changes from today. I also changed the scape. I have tried toe block the hiding places. The checkerboard is out all the time and is getting better. Blue is in the middle but Pigeons blood loves to hide.

Real Name
    Jacob

Maybe they just need a chance for things to settle and reduced lighting for a bit?

Real Name
    Tom

From the pics they look fine. Look like there eating. I don’t think you’ve got a problem. That may just be where they like staying. I’ve got a spot in my tank where some go and I can’t see them that well. But there all fine. If they don’t come out for food they pick off the bottom.

Tinzo, they're eating. I think it might be related to my situation that I've been trying to figure out since moving into new house 18 months ago.

My current theory for me on my group is:
    -uncomfortable (the water isn't like it used to be from water source... but it's not horrendous)
    -personalities (I've had groups that are social butterflies while others are wallflowers. Sadly, I watch my "wallflowers" on our old baby monitor when I'm in my detached garage and they're active as heck... then I come in and they're like, "HIDE! IT'S THAT FAT GUY THAT DID SOMETHING WITH OUR FORMER SKINNY GOOD-LOOKING OWNER!'..."
    -Elliot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast