AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: New Tank Mates?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Default New Tank Mates?

Hi Guys,

I have a 1 year old established Discus tank with 10 discus, a school of 10 ish rummy nose/cardinal tetras, 6 corys, and 1 BN pleco. I've always liked congo tetras. I have a 4ft x 2ft x 2ft tank with 20 gal wet/dry sump. I know congos are fast and will eat up FDBW but wondering if any folks are keeping congos with discus and how they are doing? I keep my tank around 82F and do 60% water changes every 3 days or so.

Thanks!

Real Name
    Steve

Default Re: New Tank Mates?

I've kept Congo tetras and I've kept discus, but not together.
    Congos need to be kept in a school of at least 6 and prefer a planted tank. They get way larger than your cardinals and rummies and are way more active. I suspect the discus would be intimidated by their activity and stressed. Besides, Congos would not be happy at 82F. They would survive but not thrive. They do much better and live longer at 75-76F.
    If I were you, I would just add a few more rummies or cardinals rather than Congos.
    If you really want Congos, and can swing it, set up a tank just for them. Preferably a 55 or 75 gallon. A nice school of Congos in a planted tank with some smaller tetras and some catfish is very impressive.

Default Re: New Tank Mates?

I've had both and they don't work well together. How about a school of some rams. The German and Dutch Rams are very peaceful and also very colorful. They came from the same South American waters as Discus.
    Mama Bear