ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Few super basic questions

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Edward

Default Few super basic questions

Hello!

New here! I just have a few questions:

1. Concerning fish-less tank cycling, do you need to "age" the water for 24 hours in a separate container before you add to the empty tank for cycling or you can just add tap water directly into the tank? Will chlorine stick to tank walls/substrate/filter media?

2. Planning to use Oase canister filter. If you insert the heater into the canister filter, will that make it more difficult to heat up the tank water in a cold room (during winter)?

Thank you!

Ed.

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Few super basic questions

I always age my water. Not because of chlorine, but to stabilize ph. This is more important in colder weather. Prime neutralizes chlorine and chloramines instantly, so if you add straight to the tank you should be fine.

Real Name
    Tom

I don’t. I just fill up the tank and run heater and filter. When adding new water many will age it first. It’s all up to your water and what it needs. So if you fill up your tank like I said and take water readings after it filled. Than wait 24hrs and retest your water you’ll have a good idea of what your water does and where your ph will be. If it changes a lot you will want to age your water if it stays the same you can just add tap water with prime. Are you on well or city water?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Edward

Thank you. What I meant was, do I have to age in a separate container before using the water to cycle the tank? Or I could just dump tap water into the tank and let it age there? This is purely cycling of course. I understand water to be used for water changes needs to be aged in a separate container

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Edward

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    I don’t. I just fill up the tank and run heater and filter. When adding new water many will age it first. It’s all up to your water and what it needs. So if you fill up your tank like I said and take water readings after it filled. Than wait 24hrs and retest your water you’ll have a good idea of what your water does and where your ph will be. If it changes a lot you will want to age your water if it stays the same you can just add tap water with prime. Are you on well or city water?

Im in the San Fernando Valley in LA county. I think our tapwater here come mostly from groundwater (generally speaking that is - not sure where my city exactly sources water from).

Real Name
    Willie

You can just fill the tank and let the water age while cycling. There's no real issues in the summer, nor is there likely ever to be an issue in southern California. It'll take you a minimum of 4 weeks to get the cycle going. Much easier to buy a commercial cycling accelerator, like Dr. Tim's Aquatics, which will get the tank cycling within a week.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

I'd do as Willie suggested.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Edward

Thank you all! Cheers!