AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: My experience

Banned

Default My experience

I’ve been lurking on a number of forums catering to tropical fish keeping. I don’t generally post because I see so much contradictory information that contributing just seems pointless. I’m absolutely astounded at how much time and expense some people spend maintaining their fish.

I’ve kept discus for about 6 years and never had to treat for disease. This includes 3 different cohorts, each a different variety, from 3 different sellers. I purchase 3” juveniles, raise them to adulthood, then sell them and start over. The only filtration I have ever used is sponge filled canister filters. I change 40-60% of the water (depending on how thoroughly I vacuum the substrate) once every two weeks. My water parameters are as follows:

pH = 8.0
    TDS = 200-300 ppm
    Temp=27C (give or take)

In addition to discus, I am currently keeping 2 species of tetra, some corydoras, and one other species of catfish in a lightly planted tank. The only problems I’ve ever encountered were behavioral. I’ve had discus that were either too aggressive or too passive, which I simply removed from the group. End of problem.

I should mention that I only feed my fish freeze dried, processed, or sterilized wet foods. I also don’t obey the 10-gallon rule. My rule is 20 gallons per discus, minimum. And I always keep a small group of corydoras on hand to clean up leftovers.

Real Name
    Francis

Default Re: My experience

The 10g per fish rule is not a rule at all. Its just safe guidance for new people to the hobby. Things are easier to control if a newcomer sticks to the guidance until they get some expereince behind them. It all depends on things such as your source water, what you feed, your experience with discus, size of discus, filtration, water changes, etc.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member

Your at a good location for Discus, any pictures of your set up? Any Discus shops near Marina Bay Hotel?

Cliff

Registered Member

If what you claim is true, you are extremally lucky.

Heck, you can get away with a lot if you stock at 1 Discus per 20 gallons. It all depends on what you want from the fish.

My adult Discus grow to be huge. But I'm more in it to bring out the best in the fish. I feed more than they need and change more water than I would have to if I didn't. My way gives me what I am looking for in the fish. I would never tell someone who is happy with what they have to do it differently.

I'd really like to see pics. I'll share mine if you share yours.
    Mama Bear