ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Two female pair?

Registered Member

Default Two female pair?

Hello everybody. I have a pair (Red map x red melon, both 2 YO) which has repeatedly spawned but produced no wigglers at all (while other pair in the tank regularly produces offspring). I suspect the fish in the first pair are two females. Does anyone here have succeeded in pairing a proven male with a female that had a previous history behaving as a male and spawning with another female. Thanks in advance!

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Two female pair?

Are you sure it's two females? Some males go through the act but never become potent. 2 females spawning is not uncommon though. It's not a sure thing but All you can do is try it and see if it happens. I have one female who will spawn with any male she meets...

Registered Member

Thx Jeep. No, I´m not sure it´s two females, but as you say, all I can do is guess and try... I saw a video of Hans in youtube where he somewhat implied that the fish performing as a male in a two-female pair can be later paired with a male. Would be nice to hear from somebody knowing from experience here though...

Real Name
    Brian

If it's 2 females, you should see an extra ordinary number of eggs. Sure, the females will most likely pair with another male. It's just hit and miss. Like I said, I have one female that will spawn with any interested male. On the other hand, I have another female that paired with a male. He died and she'll have nothing to do with any other male...