ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Help :(

Registered Member

Default Help :( bacterial infection? Or something else?

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish.

I purchased a seemingly healthy juvenile discus and placed in the quarantine tank, dosed with aqua one broad spectrum and then heater in this tank died. I panicked and put this discus into main tank over a week ago (wow do I regret this now) and I have now lost one of my favourite discus’ and my 5 others look like they may join him.

2. Symptoms

All blue strains are basically black, clamped fins, excess mucus, scratching on plants, hiding, some eating, some not, have noticed some swimming/floating sideways, fins have started to erode.
    Poo appears normal, no bloating.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results.

I performed two potassium permanganate treatments to the tank (water turned brown after 30 minutes first dose. Removed and redosed two days later and turned brown after 3 hours).
    No change in behaviour.

Dosed with blue planet tri sulfa 48 hours following this after no change.

50% water change and re dose 48 hours after this and added salt.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

300L
    Running for 6+ months
    6 discus - Mix of juvenile and almost adult discus. 6cm-10cm approx.
    3x panda corys
    1x peppermint bn
    1x peacock gudgeon
    2x empire gudgeons
    2x Bolivian rams
    1x blue ram
    5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

50% water change every 5 days

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

Approx six months
    Sand substrate
    5cm thick

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

No straight from tap using prime to condition.

9. Parameters and water source;

- temp 29 degrees

- ph 6.8

- ammonia reading 0ppm

- nitrite reading 0ppm

- nitrate reading 5-10ppm (test showing slightly darker than 5 but not as dark as 10)

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- municipal water 100%

11. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.

Small granules morning (DRP brand)
    Freeze dried black worm at night

12. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

Not sure how to do this!
    Last edited by Dani; 07-17-2022 at 12:10 AM.

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Help :(

Hi Dani and welcome to Simply. If I understand correctly, you bought some discus, placed them in QT, the heater failed so you placed them in the main tank with other fish? This sounds like cross contamination, most likely bacterial but it's hard to tell. How long after you placed the discus in your community tank did they become sick?

You tried PP with no positive results. I'm not sure where you live, but do you have access to Rid Ich Plus? It's a great med for bacterial and parasitical issues.

We would like to see photo's. If you can't post them directly they may be too large. You can try emailing them to yourself and they will be automatically resized to forum requirements. Our software is a little outdated so here's a pic of how to post. Click "inert image" then choose file then locate in your PC then upload...
    post photo.png