ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: My first Sump

Registered Member

Default My first Sump

I am upgrading from a 75 gallon BB Discus tank with sponge filters to a 125 dual corner overflow….my first sump. I bought a 40 gallon breeder for sump.
    the DT has 2 bottom drilled drains and 2 bottom drilled returns. Manufacturer says that I am supposed to run 2 pumps, 1 to each return. I’m not sure how to place the sump under the tank to equalize the distance being travelled from each corner. If I place sump to 1 end of the stand, the returns will be traveling 3 feet each, but the distance for the drain/overflow lines become unbalanced. Straight down for 1 end and 6 feet for the other! I’m over my head!!
    Anybody with experience in explaining things to a blank slate would be appreciated😂

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: My first Sump

I’ve never used 2 returns. Seems like overkill. It’s a 125. How much water do you want to move. I’m moving 800gph in my 125 single overflow and return. On opposite sides of the tank. Same with a 180 that’s moving 1200gph. Alls good. You may want to cap one of the drains. Or use them both and just one return.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

I am familiar with drain redundancy, can also assist with silencing the the drain. Unknown why you would want two returns unless the diameter is too small for the volume of water you want to circulate. The following has some good info in it for flows and diameters https://expertaquarist.com/freshwater-sump-filter/

Regardless, why are you concerned whether the pipe length is the same on your two returns? Frankly I would cap one and use one only, but even if you use two they don't have to be the same length. Locate the sump tank wherever you want. Also consider putting your pump/pumps on a raised platform inside your sump so that if your return does clog you do not pump the vast majority of your sump volume into your DT.

Registered Member

With Discus I don’t need a lot of flow. I don’t want to use or not use 2, it’s just that this was Marinelands instruction for the sump set up, The only info they gave me as a response to basic sump requirements was “this requires 2 pumps 2 returns” couldn’t offer any other info! …except look on reef websites
    Thank you for responding, 1 pump seems easier than 2….. for sure
    Last edited by Donley6377; 07-25-2022 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Forgot basic manners!

Registered Member

I definitely will take the advice of a platform for the pump or pumps, thank you.
    I’ve made a quick decision to run 1 pump. My thinking on having 2 was as simple as thinking this would balance the flow (or suction) in the tank and help with the circulation and keep the bottom a little cleaner. Not have alot of detritus in one corner. I’ve read that it is hard to keep the bottom clean with this type of system. But I am going to stop giving myself a headache and let Aquarium Adventures design the sump for me! I want to have a small algae scrubber section or Refugium and they’ll be alot better than I am! I’m a furniture builder by trade and can build a heck of a stand, but I do better with routers and bandsaws than pvc and tube cutters! Thanks for your help, I was overthinking the distance issue.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

Good luck with the system, pictures when up and running. I often see sumps with the pump sitting on the bottom and although having the drain from the DT completely clog would be a rare event it has happened. With the sump pump up on a platform near the top of the sump tank there is no risk of overflowing the DT, seems like an easy precaution to me.

Registered Member

It’s become common for some retailers, like BRS and others, to recommend redundancy in systems including running 2 smaller return pumps instead of 1 larger one. If I had a setup like yours I might be tempted, but to start with I’d keep things as simple as possible. I use a “Herbie” system with 2 1” intakes, and one 3/4” return.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

If you have 2 overflows with 2 bulkheads per overflow- you probably need to go with a Durso. If you have a 4 return holes together in one overflow- I’d do a bean animal set up with the smallest hole for your return line. I have an old tank with 2 corner overflows with 2 holes per overflow and just have a Durso and return line in each overflow…

Registered Member

I'm curious guys...how do you go by capping a return? What do you use and how do you secure it so it doesn't leak?

Sorry Donley, not trying to hijack your post.