ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Can someone help me get rid of this BROWN ALGAE???

Registered Member

Exclamation Can someone help me get rid of this BROWN ALGAE???

Hows it going everyone? I am new to the site. After much research I am here with my first question.

I've had my tank for almost a year. For some reason I just cannot get rid of this brown algae. Never had this issue with my previous discus tank. I am thinking it's my set up. Unfortunately the only place I have for my tank is right next to windows. I had sand in my tank, but I ended up removing it as brown algae just took over the white sand. I do a 80% water change a week and age my water. I keep my blinds closed, but have an open window to the backyard. I added a covering to the side of the tank facing the window, but I still can't get rid of the algae.

I bought a inline UV sterilizer hoping I don't have to install it. If I bought an RO system, do you guys think that would help? Should I do a water change twice a week? Or am I just S.O.L because my tank is next to windows?

Appreciate the help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Can someone help me get rid of this BROWN ALGAE???

I'd just wait it out. The brown stuff is always a problem but eventually goes a way. I know that it's been a year which seems to be a bit long. Please let us know what kind of filter you have in the tank.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Willie

Brown algae is often indicative of excess phosphate content in the water. Going to R/O should make the problem go away.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

I have a sump, 2 filter socks, rings, sponges, puirigen, phosgaurd, bio home
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Mervin

How long ago did you remove the sand? Probably had silica in it and diatoms thrive in newer tanks with those particles present in your water. As time goes by they should go away like Liz mentioned. Then you should see green algae, a higher form of algae. Diatoms live well in low light tanks altho yours is next to a window the light may not be bright enough for green algae to take over. How many hours are the lights on? I would try 8-10 hours bright lite tank to see where that goes. Of course you'll still need elbow grease to wipe down the glass to remove the green algae.

Registered Member

Hard to see exactly what type of algae this is.
    Does it appear less in the
    Morning and then appear to grow bigger during the daytime?
    If so, you might be dealing with blue-green algae - cyanobacter (often appears brown).
    It diatoms, there are many fish that eat this.
    In my experience, diatoms often appear just as a tank cycle ends but had never been a persistent problem for me