ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got a new pair of discus

Real Name
    Tom

Default Got a new pair of discus

Got these 2 guys on Tuesday. Came from Discus Madness. 3” to 3.5”. Yes I know small!! I wanted this type for awhile now. Bought 2 from Kenny but they just never became what I wanted. So I’m hoping to grow these guys out. I’ve got them in a 50g now and will start 50% daily water changes tomorrow. They’re eating already both fd bloodworms and fdbw. So what do you guys think?7388C839-252E-4C04-B4D8-AE207F0298CA.jpg2BC50087-63A9-459C-A060-3501290E8DDC.jpg8776F50C-8F33-4E49-AD0A-BFB31174919A.jpgthis guy is the smaller of the 2 and does have a nice roundness but I’m worried about the eye ratio. What do you guys think.0B0A8F6F-3014-437C-A86F-23074B5A8EEF.jpg
    Last edited by Iminit; 07-27-2022 at 09:34 PM.

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Got a new pair of discus

I like Tigers. That last one is pretty stunted though. Pound it with clean water and good foods and see how it turns out...

Registered Member

They look great, I had some of these type back in the late 80's to early 90's from Gan's hatchery in Singapore. Gan called these Discus his vertical strain, but now they are called tiger. Growth was slow and the higher body were more skinny.

Cliff

Real Name
    Tom

That pattern is way cool.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Very nice Tom. I agree with Brian that the last one does look stunted. I have one blue tiger turquoise that I got from Ping. I agree with Cliff that he is skinnier than my other discus. They are a beautiful variety.

Real Name
    Tom

Tried to get from Ping but he sells out quick. Will see how these grow. Still on the fence with that fish. It just looks so bright and healthy I can’t understand how it could be stunted. 6A10E07F-C824-4B4C-B1F3-E14033F468A3.jpg9A5F2470-2516-4F7B-8047-41778651F15F.jpg

Just enjoy the pattern. Heck all Discus can be faulted. Even show fish have faults. I find faults even in my best home bred fish.

Are you planning on breeding them? If so, a Discus that's stunted is fine to breed. Stunting isn't a genetic thing. It's an environmental thing. But if you are planning on breeding them don't expect them to all to have the tiger pattern. These are, after all, domestics. Domestics do not breed true to type.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tom

No I’m not planning on breeding. Just don’t have the desire. I tried for awhile with another pair just to see how far I could go. But none lasted past swimmers. I’d just like to see them at the 6” size. They eat like crazy. So hopefully they grow .

Real Name
    Shane Sims

Nice fish, and good luck with them! I've bought several fish from Matthias, and they all turned out well. I know they aren't cheap, but if you can add two more, it may reduce the stress on the other two, and they may grow out better. Some fish may be fine as just a pair, and some might get stressed with only two fish in the tank - just depends on the fish.
    -Shane

Discus do it bare bottom.

Real Name
    Tom

Yeah I should have bought more but didn’t want to chance it and it’s to late now. The 2 get along fine and are eating fdbw and frozen blood worms all day long. Both still showing great color. The little guy is looking bigger. Only time will tell now.
    Yes prices were high but that’s discus.

Real Name
    Tom

Well it didn’t go well. Not sure why. They were fine yesterday eating regular and pooping fine but hiding after eating. They’d see me and come for food eat and than hide. 50% water change daily. Than the smaller one just started spinning stop than spin again. No clue and it died about an hour after video. Never seen it dash around tank. It chased the food but that was it. . Look like they were coming along nicely. Even looked like they were growing. Than this.

What rotten luck.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Sorry to hear this, Did you find out what the problem was?

Cliff

Real Name
    Jacob

Darn, it looks like the little one had been growing a bit too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast