AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Got a new pair of discus

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Got a new pair of discus

No clue what happened? It was doing fine the day before. Here’s a pic of the other.58B64C2E-544A-4C02-ACCE-F3B4EEDE09DE.jpg. Its eating fine. Got no faith in it though. It eats than hides.
    Yeah I thought they were growing too.

Real Name
    Shane Sims

It may have just gotten spooked and hit its head on the tank wall at high speed. I've lost a few fish that way, and they ended up with that loss of control. You already have your fish in a low-traffic area, but if you don't then I would recommend it. They get stressed and spooked easily.
    -Shane

Discus do it bare bottom.

Real Name
    Tom

It was in a low traffic area and it was shy but not darting about. It came out for food ate like crazy and than they drifted back to their spot. I’ve kept 2 before in qt without a problem. But maybe 2 was no good this time. I’m at a lose about what happened. The other looks fine but does eat and hide still. Will see how it goes. Guess that all I can do.

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    ..If so, a Discus that's stunted is fine to breed. Stunting isn't a genetic thing...
    Actually, I think it is a genetic thing. Despite these gorgeous patterns, I've held off raising Tigers because they're small. 4" Tigers are common, 5" Tigers are rare and 6" Tigers usually end up winning show prizes. They've been highly inbred to create this pattern because Tigers sell so well.

Only very recently have I seen Tiger specimens from Pingco and Pompas showing growth potential, so some Malaysian farms are starting to outcross to increase vigor and size. I can wait...
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Tom

Ok I didn’t know that. These 2 are my 5th and 6th I’ve bought.AE35ACC3-C9C4-49D4-B5AD-67BDD2287241.jpg bought these 4 from Kenny 2 yrs ago. 2 reds 2 blues. Blues never grew and eventually passed. But the reds grew well. Male is a solid 6” female 5”. They’ve bred like crazy but never got past swimmers.8D27E7B2-97F5-4D10-818A-E5706628665D.jpg. These last one I was going after that bright blue/green color. But that may not last anyway. See how red the reds were. That pic is about a month after getting them and this was the first dayF737611E-950F-43D2-ABFF-FE374ACF7218.jpg they were about 3” and bright red. Yes that was enhanced somehow.

Registered Member

I had as some of these around 30 years from a breeder name Gan from Singapore, he was well known at that time, he even won the Aquarama in Singapore.

Real Name
    Tom

Well this is the survivor. Seems fine just scared probably because it’s by itself. It’s eating fine and poo is brown. So think of adding to one of my tanks. . It’s been in qtfor 4 weeks now.

Hi all

I picked up 6 Tigers from Discus madness also about 2 months ago at about 4 inches a piece. I also added a few Penang eruptions and a few Deep Red Turquoise as well to that growing group.
    I’m not new to fish keeping, but fairly new to discus as for the last few years I have primarily kept mostly larger Geos & Severums. The Tigers from Discus Madness are beautiful, definitely not cheap at about $90 per fish, and after keeping them in my 50 gallon and QT’ing them with a round of basic meds and than moving them to a 90 gallon where they were housed with my group of Phantom Tetras which I’ve had for about 8 months and we’re dither fish in another tank with a group of Albino Hecklii and Uaru Pandas and did great.

After being with the Tigers and other discus for the last 6 weeks or so I’d have to say everything was going fairly well….The only aggression I’d seem was towards each other as far as the discus go. Your usual chase, especially during feeding which I am doing twice a day with a mix of good quality flakes, granuals, or pellets….2 Days ago the discus began stalking and killing the tetras.
    No idea what changed, no idea as to why? However I was able to capture it happening very early in the morning with one of the eruptions and another tiger basically what looked to be hunting my tetras and darting into them and killing them and than the entire group of discus taking turns pecking at the injured dying tetra🤦🏻*♂️ Crazy Scene.

I’ve since removed all the tetras and I’m left wondering why they became so aggressive towards the tetras and started to kill them. All I’ve spoken with said that is untypical behavior for discus🤷🏻*♂️

Real Name
    Tom

It’s not unheard of for discus to eat tetras. My guess is one did it and the others saw it and just followed along. Did they eat the ones the caught? We’re the phantoms the long finned ones? It is surprising that the discus caught the tetras. I’ve got rummie noses and they swim in a group. So the discus don’t bother them. I also have cherry shrimp in the tank. They are mostly nocturnal now but every so often ones moves around during the day. If the discus see it the chase is on but it’s never the first discus that gets it. It’s just the one closest when it stops. I don’t find discus to fast at catching things.

Where are you in NY.

Real Name
    Frank

I stopped keeping tetras because my discus saw them as a snack. Mine also liked amano shrimp.

Yes NY, Long Island City to be exact����

I watched them while they were in my 50 gallon QT’ing with them. I kept them together in there just to monitor and wanted to see if anything would happen before moving to my 90 gallon. They were great for a few weeks, the Phantoms kind of schooled together, at Night I noticed they slept all over the tank right along side the discus with no signs of aggression. And that was through a dose of Paracleanse as well. Everyone was great during feeding, I dropped food in both sides and all co existing just fine.

Fast forward a few weeks later in the 90 and I found a dead tetra. A larger one which was one of the nicest ones with his eyes missing and chewed up and I thought maybe there was no rhyme or reason and they just began to pick at a fish that had passed����*♂️ Water levels were all perfect, etc etc.

Next morning woke up early about 5am to just see what was going on in there and to my surprise from across the room I caught them actually chasing the tetras around. Right away it just didn’t look right, you could tell the tetras were like what’s going on here. And I saw them get one! Another was already dead at the top of water they had probably gotten to earlier, and this one was stunned from the hit and they all began taking turns getting to him like a pack of wolves. So had to remove the 2 dead ones, than I tested the water which was fine, and just decided to remove all the tetras during a water change right than and there and brought the large group to my friends shop later that morning.

Real Name
    Tom

Yeah the phantoms don’t stay together so easier to pick off. The rummies move as a group so the discus don’t bother them. Also my tank is bigger. So if interested in a bigger tank. These are sitting on the side of he road in river head. Both are dirty but look good.0411011D-3154-4D57-8591-F6D82124F060.jpg
    Also 2 good shops close to you for discus. Monster aquarium in queens and south river aquarium in Brooklyn sell quality discus for good prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Yeah the phantoms don’t stay together so easier to pick off. The rummies move as a group so the discus don’t bother them. Also my tank is bigger. So if interested in a bigger tank. These are sitting on the side of he road in river head. Both are dirty but look good.0411011D-3154-4D57-8591-F6D82124F060.jpg
    Also 2 good shops close to you for discus. Monster aquarium in queens and south river aquarium in Brooklyn sell quality discus for good prices.

Yea the 20 lemons in qT in my 50 gallon all stick together.

We’ll see how it goes, all those discus in my 50 will be going into my 90 and the whole crew in the 90 will be going into my 120 next week. So alot of maneuvering to do next weekend providing all goes as planned.

Yea I’ve been going to Monster for years, John the owner is a very nice guy. The other store in Brooklyn I’ve never heard of, but I’ll give them a look. For many years I’ve shopped in NJ since the best African shop Fish hut is out there, and eventually found my way to absolutely fish, who believe it or not has some very nice discus����

Real Name
    Tom

Well added it to the main tank and it does look better.68999F1A-1C45-4ADF-BAAE-38E31D03407C.jpg10B927D1-CB13-45D8-B888-ED37CE9D9010.jpg

Real Name
    Shane Sims

Yeah, he's definitely much happier in that tank - you can tell by his color and posture. Great looking fish. Nice tank by the way.
    -Shane

Discus do it bare bottom.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast