AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: New to discus, not to aquariums

Registered Member

Default New to discus, not to aquariums

Got given a new tank and was debating with my wife what to do with old one and she said she wanted to have her own. Just started working at an LFS. She had been in several times and started asking me about angel fish. So i explained how to care for angels. When we went to the store I started walking to the angels and realized my wife was not behind me. She had stopped at the discus and i instantly realized she had the name wrong when she asked me. But i was commited to the endevor so we went home and changed setup for a better discus match.
    I have had many tanks before, salt and fresh. Not sure why but these are making me more nervous than any before, maybe because I want my wifes first tank to go well.

Registered Member

Default Re: New to discuss, not to aquariums

Often newbies lose discus. Experienced people lose discus as well.
    That might be upsetting as a first tank.
    Talk her into something else - like real angels
    JMO

Real Name
    Shane Sims

Yeah, definitely not starter fish, but it sounds like you already made the leap. Just make sure you're changing a lot of water, and keep them in a low-traffic area. Stability is everything.
    -Shane

Discus do it bare bottom.

Registered Member

She has my help, she will be fine. I have extensive aquarium experiance, I have been in the hobby 25 years, glad this community supports new members and helps them achieve. Some places just tell new hobbyists that its impossible, im glad this isnt that kind of forum.

Real Name
    Francis

This video was made by Simply Discus forum owner Al Sabetta. It is by far one of the more concise up to date videos on discus information and rearing.
    This video will answer a slew of questions you may have if you are interested in getting in to discus. It isn't only for beginners however, there is something for everyone:

https://youtu.be/VXe3VKh7qF8
    Last edited by seanyuki; 08-30-2022 at 09:57 AM.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Brian

Every discus keeper started somewhere so why not?. The level of success depends on research and education and Al's video is the perfect place to start. If there's still an interest after that, then this is the place to learn. I would suggest reading through the beginner and water sections. Discus keepers aren't fish keepers, they are water keepers, and good water is what discus require. Also, the first step in success is knowing what a healthy, quality discus is and unfortunately they aren't common in local fish stores. Nothing will run someone out of the hobby faster than starting with unhealthy discus...

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    ...Also, the first step in success is knowing what a healthy, quality discus is and unfortunately they aren't common in local fish stores. Nothing will run someone out of the hobby faster than starting with unhealthy discus...
    What Brian is trying to tell you nicely is -- don't buy discus from your local fish store. Why do we tell you this? Because we've all made the same mistake.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Tom

So much great info already. Yes discus are doable! Yes your not keeping fish your keeping clean water . But the fish do live in it . Best bet start bare bottom. How big is your tank? Discus do require a big tank! Yes buy your discus on line. Buy from someone recommended. Local pet stores just can’t devote the time needed to discus. You’ll pay more online but the fish will be stronger. Don’t buy smaller than 4” and the bigger the better.

Your already a fish keeper so your not new. You know about your water. Discus are just like a step up in care. They are a fish you must devote time to. Not a community tank that’s ok to forget to clean for a week. Bare bottom may sound void but it doesn’t have to be.EF41C053-EE1F-461D-B717-D53F932054D0.jpg

Registered Member

I appreciate you all coming in with a more positive attitude. The video you mention is what brought me to this site. I have watched it 3 times. Once before my wife pointed at discus and made her watch with me before buying discus and once since to cement it in my mind. It is very good. I also have watched and read alot from evry source i can find. I have already kept many planted tanks and am studied in plant and soil sciences. My wife has a bachelors in biology and while i know the natural environment of thw discus does not normally contain plants we put some in. Medium term plan is to setup our 300 gallon and get a couple more for a total of 5-7 discus, right now the 3 5.5 in discus are in my 70 gallon. I know the planted will add complexity but im in for it. I know you all dog LFS's but without them no new people will come into the hobby. The one i work at i am the highest paid 3mployee, everyone else basically volunteered to share their skill and help new people into the hoby. They also buy good quality and there by dont have the best price on about anything. But, as a long time hobyist i feel i can aford to pay extra and support the local hobby. So i only buy local. Without the LFS our hobby will die out. Find the good ones and bring them what business you can.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    So much great info already. Yes discus are doable! Yes your not keeping fish your keeping clean water . But the fish do live in it . Best bet start bare bottom. How big is your tank? Discus do require a big tank! Yes buy your discus on line. Buy from someone recommended. Local pet stores just can’t devote the time needed to discus. You’ll pay more online but the fish will be stronger. Don’t buy smaller than 4” and the bigger the better.

Your already a fish keeper so your not new. You know about your water. Discus are just like a step up in care. They are a fish you must devote time to. Not a community tank that’s ok to forget to clean for a week. Bare bottom may sound void but it doesn’t have to be.EF41C053-EE1F-461D-B717-D53F932054D0.jpg
    Thats a beautiful system anyone would be proud of.

Real Name
    Tom

Yes I’m biased about discus. I’m on Long Island and will say there is not a shop I know that actually knows how to take care of discus. There are 2 shop’s in the Brooklyn and queens area that do get quality discus. But you have to buy them when they first come in. The longer you wait the less of a chance they’ll be healthy. And even than I qt for at least 4 weeks. Thing with discus is there are so many things that could get them sick. Everything that goes into the discus tank needs to be qt for 4 weeks. Just not worth the chance. Local shop needs just discus equipment. Which most just won’t do.

I’ve kept and grown plants for years. Unfortunately substrate and discus is just to hard to keep up and god forbid you have to medicate. All the plants have to come out. 2 threads I’ve got running on here will show you what can happen. Even if your prepared. “Pics of my planted discus tank” in the planted section. And in the disease section “looking for help”

Registered Member

Qt is always good advice, my reef experiance tought me that, for sure will be doing that, assuming any future purchases.

Real Name
    Mervin

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Yes I’m biased about discus. I’m on Long Island and will say there is not a shop I know that actually knows how to take care of discus. There are 2 shop’s in the Brooklyn and queens area that do get quality discus. But you have to buy them when they first come in. The longer you wait the less of a chance they’ll be healthy. And even than I qt for at least 4 weeks. Thing with discus is there are so many things that could get them sick. Everything that goes into the discus tank needs to be qt for 4 weeks. Just not worth the chance. Local shop needs just discus equipment. Which most just won’t do.

I’ve kept and grown plants for years. Unfortunately substrate and discus is just to hard to keep up and god forbid you have to medicate. All the plants have to come out. 2 threads I’ve got running on here will show you what can happen. Even if your prepared. “Pics of my planted discus tank” in the planted section. And in the disease section “looking for help”
    I agree on the special care that discus need, they usually don't get it in our local fish shops. Sometimes they have the same 2.5-3 inch discus there for weeks and they don't grow at all. And have lost that growth forever and never grow to their potential. Not to mention that some have their whole system running together with different species and fish arriving from different places weekly. Most fish shops that don't specialize in discus do it wrong and best to get them on the day of arrival before they let them go in their tanks. It's the same around here as far as fish shops go.