AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Big discus tank

Registered Member

Default Big discus tank

Right now I have a 176 corner tank but this evening I’m going to pick up a 420 gallon tank. I’m trying to have all my ducks in a row. Most of my discus are 2.5-4 inches I have 16 right now with plans to get more but I’ve seen some things that say it’s not best to grow them out in a big tank. should I try and grow them out in my 176 before moving them or would they be okay in the big tank? I’ve currently been doing 50-75% water changes every other day with bare bottom tank with plants in pots. This is my first post but I’ve used similar boards before so I’ll try and attach a picture of my set up

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Big discus tank

Well if growing out I’d use a 40-50g. Less water to change and you’ll get the same results. I use a 50 as the grow out. But much more important! Great looking pup! What type of dog?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Well if growing out I’d use a 40-50g. Less water to change and you’ll get the same results. I use a 50 as the grow out. But much more important! Great looking pup! What type of dog?
    Thank you!! He is a olde English bulldog.. so I guess I’m far better leaving them all in the smaller 176 for a while then putting them in the 420.. it’s gonna be hard leaving this sucker empty..

Real Name
    Tom

It’s going to take awhile to get it ready anyway so growing out in a smaller tank is better. Like I said a 40-50g is a better way than the 176. Makes water changes easy and keeps the food in a smaller area so all will get it. You really don’t want them burning up the food chasing it all over a 176. They will probably grow faster in the smaller tank. Once they hit 4.5-5” you can move them into a bigger tank. Also the smaller tank will be your qt tank and hospital tank. Any way you need the smaller tank. Discus require a main tank and a smaller qt/hospital tank.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    It’s going to take awhile to get it ready anyway so growing out in a smaller tank is better. Like I said a 40-50g is a better way than the 176. Makes water changes easy and keeps the food in a smaller area so all will get it. You really don’t want them burning up the food chasing it all over a 176. They will probably grow faster in the smaller tank. Once they hit 4.5-5” you can move them into a bigger tank. Also the smaller tank will be your qt tank and hospital tank. Any way you need the smaller tank. Discus require a main tank and a smaller qt/hospital tank.
    so at this moment I have my qt tank full with 6 new discus its a 40 breeder I have setup as a qt/hospital tank. I have had 10 discus with 4 clown loachs and a couple dozen tetras in the 176 for the last 2 months doing 50-75% every other day which hasn't been awful its bare bottom so its easy to clean.. I just picked up a 420 yesterday, which you are right it is gonna take me a bit to get it set up. I'm gonna go threw and buff the acrylic, modify the stand, get the sump setup and plumbed. I'm thinking of setting it up on a drain/fill water change deal where I can set it to as much water as I would like daily. how long should I grow them out before I would dare move them to the big tank (420) a few months? my bigger ones are about the size of the palm of my hand. thanks for the help!!!

Real Name
    Tom

I like the 4.5-5” size to move them. They will still grow in the bigger tank