AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Swim Bladder Disorder

Registered Member

Default Swim Bladder Disorder

Hi,
    I have one of my fish with swim bladder disorder
    I isolated her in a Med tank with 4" shallow water to reduce pressure ,added 1g / Lt magnesium Sulphate (Epsom Salt) and Bactocide 2 antibiotic dosed as instructed. Fish when to normal after less than 24hr , kept treatment for a week with daily water changes , re dose and increase water lever gradually .
    But after put it back to the main tank after two days it will go down again .
    This is the second time I done the process and it went head down again
    Had the same problem several times before in the past and always same results ending up fish dies or euthanize
    Would like to know why swim bladder occur and how to prevent

Any idea ??
    Last edited by rocar1264; 08-08-2022 at 12:30 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Swim Bladder Disorder

Some theories about swim bladder I've read about point to a lack of minerals in the water or food (I think magnesium was specifically mentioned in one study), genetics or dirty water (high bioload, bacteria count and prolonged exposure to high nitrates). I always leaned towards the high nitrates, but we've been seeing a lot more of this condition recently, and many of the discus keepers are new to the hobby or don't adhere to a regular maintenance schedule. I kind of lean more to overall water quality and a high bacteria count in the water.

You followed the logical steps, and some have even tried aspirating the bladder with a syringe, but unfortunately the symptoms always return and by the time you even see the symptoms in the first place it's usually too late to save the fish. In 20 years, I've had 6 head standers. Looking back, they all were exposed to similar conditions at a time when I was very busy and neglected regular water changes and filter cleanings, which could point to a high bioload and bacteria count. I was only able to save one and that was with a high dose of nitrofurazone and kanamycin in a hospital tank with 80% water changes every day. After 4-5 days I saw improvement, after 7-8 days it was back to normal and I continued the treatment for I think 14 days.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...-Are-Important
    Last edited by jeep; 08-08-2022 at 11:45 AM.