AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Beneficial bacteria on driftwood and plants

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dr.Ganesan

Default Beneficial bacteria on driftwood and plants

I am going to setup a large barebottom discus aquarium and one local fish store had some good looking driftwood with moss and ferns attached to the driftwood inside an aquarium. My query is when I buy the driftwood he will put it in a large plastic bag after covering the wood with wet newspaper to keep moisture intact. Will the beneficial bacteria stay alive for a few hours on a driftwood covered with wet newspaper and put inside a large plastic bag. Similarly if I get a matured sponge filter from a pet store which way is best to transport it home whether in a plastic airtight bag with minimal water or in a plastic bag full of water covering the whole sponge filter.
    Last edited by ganesan; 08-12-2022 at 01:14 PM.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

Default Re: Beneficial bacteria on driftwood and plants

Have no actual proof but given that the filter bacteria are currently fully submerged, I would transport submerged. The bacteria should stay viable but I would not guess at the viability of the bacteria. Once the equipment is in your tank, add ammonia to a level of ~ 2ppm, and then check for ammonia nitrites and nitrates in 12 and 24 hours. If bacteria remain viable ammonia should be 0 at 24 and nitrites down from 12 hour level and nitrates up. In case there was any question, this is a fishless method.

Real Name
    Jacob

Additionally, the sponge should be fine if left in water for a few hours. I wouldn't worry about the bacteria on the driftwood.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dr.Ganesan

Tnks for the reply I too thought similarly