ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long to quaratine new non-discus tankmates.

Real Name
    Jacob

Default How long to quaratine new non-discus tankmates.

I think I am finally going to get some tankmates this weekend for my discus. Some lemon tetras most likely.
    What is your quaratine procedure and do you treat anything prophylacticly?
    I have all sorts of meds, so that's not a big deal. But wondering what everyone else does.

Real Name
    Mervin

Default Re: How long to quaratine new non-discus tankmates.

I had those a few times over the years. Nice once they mature and are an active tight schooling fish. I've used formalin and malachite green half dose on tetras. It's found in most ich med treatments ,half dose for tetras. There are others such as General Cure but I found that this old remedy is good as any for a prophylactic.

Real Name
    Mervin

You could Qt. them for 2-4 weeks without any meds. For parasites like worms you might not see any thing wrong until months. But this is not likely with tetras.

Real Name
    Willie

I've never quarantined tetras for potential disease in my discus tanks. When I used to import directly, I would put tetras into a separate tank to fatten them up with baby brine shrimp. But that was done to help them recover from getting no food since they were harvested, not because they might be carrying a pathogen. Now that I buy from a retailer, I no longer quarantine.

Wild sourced Corydoras have been known to accumulate gill flukes. I'd pre-treat wild ones with formalin only if I wanted to breed them. Otherwise, they go straight into the discus tank. Some farm raised Corydoras may come in with ick, but that's not an issue at discus temperatures.

I also keep L-number plecos with my discus. These are not quarantined either. I have quarantine tanks, but have never experienced any discus disease from dither fish.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

I agree with Willie.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Jacob

Thanks, local store only had six lemons, but they had been there awhile and fattened up pretty good. Put them right in and I thought I was going to see the murder of six tetras almost immediately.
    They're basically leaving them alone now after the initial investigation, though. I want to get 10 more so will have to make another trip at some point.

Real Name
    Tom

I qt mine for about 4 weeks. I like to let them fatten up and get used to my water for awhile before I add them to the tank. Gives the dither fish a fighting chance .

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    Thanks, local store only had six lemons, but they had been there awhile and fattened up pretty good. Put them right in and I thought I was going to see the murder of six tetras almost immediately...
    For some reason, lemon tetras dropped a lot in price. One LFS had them for $2.50 each, so I picked up a ton of them for the adult discus tank. Haven't had any losses.

Inspiration came from a George Farmer video when he finally figured out how to keep discus. (He didn't say, but these look like Stendkers.)
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Jacob

I paid $4/per. I asked him how often he gets them in and he said fairly frequently, but high die-off as they are very small. I commented how good and big the six he had looked and he said they'd been around for awhile so they'd been fed.

George Farmer did say they were Stendker somewhere a couple minutes into the video. 50 lemon tetras sure looks cool! Pretty cool that he is/was willing to listen and turn them around. I wonder how much the substrate color vs the darker planting substrate is to blame vs the plants?

What causes discus to be longer vs more round? I'm hardly and expert and I don't know what I'm looking at, but his look... differently shaped than mine.

Real Name
    Tom

That’s funny! The long shape. Seeing the picture and not looking at the video I knew they were Stendker. Out of the 14 I bought from Hans only 1 was round. But all I bought was the small 2.5-3” ones. They show pics of large round ones but I’m guessing you have to buy them like that. If your growing them you end up with most looking like above.

Real Name
    Jacob

Mine are Stendkers (from Hans) and not shaped like the ones in the video at all. But I've only had them six months starting at 2.5", so maybe they're going to go wonky at some point.
    Last edited by jwcarlson; 08-16-2022 at 09:48 AM.

They do get rounder as they mature. The guy said that these were show fish which they are not. They are very good fish, though. It could be that since he's well known Stendker sent him higher quality fish than the normal buyer gets. There are a lot of so-so quality Stendker's sold. The fish stores always get the least quality.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Jacob

To be clear, mine (at six months) look a lot more round on average than the ones in the video (at one year). I'm just curious what causes that, if it's just genetic or if it's something else.

20220815_195100.jpg.46aab17b35319a82b7dd5600d8e1a0bc.jpg

Maybe I'm just looking at mine with bias because I've done like 175 water changes on them.

Registered Member

Some males will become elongated when full grown at around two years or older, while most females will stay round. Some of the Asian Discus have the super high body but as they age the height and length will balance out.

Cliff

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    To be clear, mine (at six months) look a lot more round on average than the ones in the video (at one year). I'm just curious what causes that, if it's just genetic or if it's something else.

20220815_195100.jpg.46aab17b35319a82b7dd5600d8e1a0bc.jpg

Maybe I'm just looking at mine with bias because I've done like 175 water changes on them.
    You bought them at 2 1/2 inches so that means they were already 3 to 4 months old so add another 6 months will make them 9 to 10 months old.

Cliff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast