AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How long to quaratine new non-discus tankmates.

Real Name
    Jacob

Default Re: How long to quaratine new non-discus tankmates.

That would make sense, maybe George Farmer (in the video) got them at a larger size and after a year his are closer to full maturity. He did talk about them laying eggs.
    I'm just curious about when/how the shape changes, I know I've seen some more football shaped, but thought maybe that was something that happened earlier and then they round up as they age. But sounds like maybe it's the other direction.

Thanks, Cliff!

Real Name
    Tom

Jacob yours do look great. I went 50% daily. Thing with mine is they just weren’t as strong as the Asian discus. Out of 14 I’ve got 5 left. 3672517A-18A8-4270-9EFC-FBD0110DE00E.jpg. This is the oldest at 4. It’s the only survivor from its group. All looked strong and healthy till a cc brought them down. 0DEB4F08-9381-46DC-8C15-86A19B8DBD12.jpg3B10E075-8A28-4FF6-9102-852E17EB5624.jpgE462F479-825B-4C6A-AF90-C8246AFD975F.jpgthese4 are the survivors of a group of 8. These also had the cc but came out much better. In all you notice the football shape. 25A90EE2-A4CA-446F-A429-5536887B51C9.jpg2CEB5DA7-D61C-41A6-ABB1-578AD2D33691.jpg these 2 were the nicest shape. Both eventually died after the cc.B5A09637-E072-49DE-9D88-4C5D379C51D0.jpg this one grew the biggest. Close to 7” but solid football shape. Was bought as a silver pigeon blood but became a dark angel. This was the first to die a few months after the cc.

Real Name
    Jacob

Yours don't look particularly football-y. And zipping through the video above again, most of them don't look too out-of-round, I guess. I'm a total freaking novice, so I have no idea what's good/bad/right/wrong.
    I've been in the threads where you talk about losing your Stendkers to CC. It's one of the things that's scared me too much to put anything in besides food/water.

I've got to be honest, I know the types I bought and I *think* I know which ones are which. But I'm not sure. Your silver pigeon blood doesn't look like a dark angel to me. Or at least it doesn't look much like mine:
    5month1.jpg.e7f0b490c6e466e582f597d1724c3e6b.jpg

Shame on that orange one and the blue one (snake skin?), those were beautiful fish!

Real Name
    Tom

That’s not a dark angel. That a blue something . Funny the blue in the first pic is a sibling to that second blue. Here’s a pic before the ccC6F8F733-84A0-4434-B900-3A96EE47A468.jpg. Here’s a pic of both my silver pigeon bloods/dark angels5C34616E-F6E4-484B-AB77-F12EC3923E69.jpg

Real Name
    Francis

Stendker Dark Angel is known as Mercury discus in Asia.

https://youtu.be/GjrdVrKP6-g
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Jacob

I don't know, mine sure looks like the dark angel on Hans' website. It is awful light on acount of the light bottom and background though.

Real Name
    Tom

I agree with you. But it’s funny if you google it you’ll see my fish as a dark angel in past years. Seem’s they’ve changed the fish? Your’s and the ones Francis put up are now dark angels! Go figure? Also you’ll notice they used to be called Blue Mercury’s.

I went back and looked at the video again. Yours are much rounder than his, Jacob.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by seanyuki View Post
    Stendker Dark Angel is known as Mercury discus in Asia.

https://youtu.be/GjrdVrKP6-g
    These Discus reminds me of the White Butterfly, the pale blue white with peppering mainly on the upper back.

Cliff

Real Name
    Jacob

I've never been so confused by colors and names as when I started trying to sort out what discus I wanted to buy. Absolutely wild with all the different names/colors/patterns. And, to be perfectly honest, a lot of them look "the same" to me, though I do understand there are subtle differences.

Real Name
    Francis

Breeders create a name for the variety that they breed for marketing. Discus with similar genetic make-up can have very different sales names. Look for stress bars, pattern, body colour, pepper and eye colour to determine type of discus.******

QUOTE=jwcarlson;1365270]I've never been so confused by colors and names as when I started trying to sort out what discus I wanted to buy. Absolutely wild with all the different names/colors/patterns. And, to be perfectly honest, a lot of them look "the same" to me, though I do understand there are subtle differences.[/QUOTE]
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Jacob

I went ahead and moved my rummynose over. I had eight and one of them died in the bag. It's like he had a heart attack in the tank I was catching him from or something. Found him kind of lodged in a plant and that was pretty much it. Weird.

The lemons and rummys are almost inseparable. They all seem pretty happy. I guess this means I probably won't get any more lemons as 13 seems like a decent amount of dither and it's only a 75 gallon tank.

They have always been pretty red, but they're lit up brighter and bigger than they have been before. Maybe because it's a few degrees warmer or just better water quality maybe. I thought the discus might stress them, but they don't seem to be bugging each other at all. The tetras are improving the discus' intake of VibraBites, which are apparently more interesting if there's 13 little tiny fish nibbling at them vigorously.

20220817_175334.jpg

Not the greatest picture, they don't stop moving for long... and they get even more red in a streak back towards their middles, which I haven't noticed until the move with the discus.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12