ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Microscopic poop id?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Nicholas

Default Microscopic poop id?

Some things in my fishes poop...

My large alpha male recently stopped eating I had chalked it up to him starting to breed for the first time but now I'm not so sure as he is in a tank of his own and still not eating. I have found a few new suspects in his poop. possible eggs. and big old ugly bug head hopefully part of the black worms that I try to feed him but like I said hasn't eaten for a while meaning 2 weeks. plus it doesn't really look like anything that I have seen before. but it is really big. using 500x magnification.
    the possible eggs are odd too in a branch formation. might not be eggs. just wondering what everyone thinks i should be using to treat him.

fluke.jpgegg+head.jpghead2.jpg

Default Re: Microscopic poop id?

I'm just guessing but to me the first looks like a flagellate, so I'd say hex. The rest of them look like roundworms.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brian

I agree.

For Hex I would first try cranking the heat up to 93 for 10-14 days. If this is unsuccessful the you can try the same treatment along with metro. Or you can just do heat and metro first. Metro works best with high temps but many time the heat alone is enough to get them eating again.

For roundworm I would treat with Levamisole. - Lights off, dose as a 24 hour bath then scrub all tank inside surfaces and do a 50% water change. Keep up with water changes and repeat dosage in one week. Levamisole doesn't kill eggs and you want to make sure they are removed after treatments. Levamisole will probably throw them off food a bit so don't be concerned...

I wouldn't run both meds at the same time, wait a week between...

Real Name
    Tom

Been seeing recently people looking through microscopes at fish poo. Seems smart but unfortunately there isn’t that much information on what your looking at. With so many involved with discus and these microscopes easily able to photograph what your seeing it would be nice if someone could put up pics identifying what is being seen. Just read an article by Mark Weiss from 92 and he did try to identify the 5 problem flagellates that effect discus. That was 92. Is there anything out there now to help identify stuff?