ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: heaters

Registered Member

Default heaters

What is the opinion of folks on this form for the best heaters?
    My ambient temp can run from 74 now to 54 in Jan.
    I have several 75's and 40's and have been using jagers. hard to adjust and
    seem to build up moisture in the tube and seem to die pretty fast.
    Would appreciate any ideas.
    Thank you
    Jay

Default Re: heaters

I like the Aqueon Pro heaters.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tom

Yeah heaters are hit or miss. Yes got to say the aqueon pros are good but the titanium. I put heaters on an ink jet to control them. I’ve been using the finnex HMA heaters for a few years now without a problem. Also been using hygger heaters on my bigger tanks with good results.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I like the Aqueon Pro heaters.
    +1

Registered Member

Ink bird controllers

Ink jet is a printer

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Roy

Hi @brady

I've tried varieties several over the decades, none with consistent success. For my Discus tank I am using the Hydor ETH inline heater with an Inkbird ITC-306A controller as a backup to prevent heater runaway and to provide notifications of power outages or temperature outside of range. -Roy

2021-09-23 75 Gallon Discus (5) Cropped Adj Sn Sm.jpg

I guess it comes down to how much money you have to spend. Yes, I hear that the Ink Bird rocks, but my hands are in the tanks at least once a day. If I need a heater in a pinch I run to my LPS where they sell me what I buy at their wholesale price. If I didn't have them to save me, I'd keep a spare heater on hand. Even the Aqueon Pro heaters fail eventually. There's no getting around it. All heaters fail. Just some sooner than others.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Jacob

I've used Ehiem Jagers over the years. Have had good luck, but it might be just that: luck. I run them on temperature controllers (so turn the integrated temp all the way up) so even if they stick on, the Ink Bird will keep the temp regulated. I suppose if the Ink Bird fails that's a problem, but I've used a good number of Ink Birds over the years to do everything from fish tanks to chicken egg incubation and I've also had good luck with them. I would like to have a heater that's got a shield maybe, something the fish can't burn themselves on. Occasionally during the big water change every night when the end up on their sides one of them will shimmy under and get a little mark. So I've started making sure I shut off the heater when I start draining now to prevent that.

Registered Member

thank you all or replying. Over the years I have used the ebo jager heaters and they all had the
    the same problem. They would form condensation in the tube and of course short out or not shut
    off. I tried putting silicone around the rubber seal and it help somewhat.
    Anyway. I am now getting back to discus on a smaller scale because of electric, fish and all things associated cost
    with keeping fish. Today I ordered 2 aquieon 300 watt heaters and will see how they work.
    BTW,

I am buying these fish from an old friend on this forum who is also getting back to the hobby.
    I won't mention her name but I will be going up to her house on Sun.
    Thank you all
    Jay

Real Name
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by captainandy View Post
    Ink bird controllers

Ink jet is a printer
    Lol!!

I been using Aqueon pros with a InkBird controllers on most of my tanks and that works out well since the controllers are Wi-Fi and I can check temperatures and get notifications on my phone. I did get some Fluvals E300's at one point and had failures so they replaced them under warrantee but now they are backups. I also use a Hygger controller (not Wi-Fi) for my aging barrels with a 500w titanium heater tube.
    Last edited by Charlyc11; 08-31-2022 at 06:49 AM.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

after a couple failures from different brands, i currently use the fluval with a built in high/low alarm. when/if it fails i get a controller with wifi alerting. you can lose fish fast from a bad heater.

Registered Member

BRS sells titanium heating elements (just the tube and a power cord) and I went with those after years of jagers and aqueons. They have a 3-yr warranty which bodes well IMO. I have Two 300w tubes hooked up to an inkbird sitting in my sump. Only been a few months but no issues so far, knock on wood.

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

I just switched my heater over for my 125-gallon discus tank to this heater and it's been running for a month now with constant temp @ 82F:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09NBB99ZC...roduct_details

well the $100 fluval failed too! At least the controller did. The heater still worked, I'm now trying an inkbird with wifi to send alarts to phone. it works now, the test will be in a couple years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast