AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Franken-Bar-Pond

Default Franken-Bar-Pond

So my 8 year old came home today with a 55 gallon someone put on the street (probably because of leak I found... I've repaired before and totally worth it again).

Question: Since my wife won't allow another tank in the house... yet I have my own garage (and she has her own... so I can do whatever I want ...), how the heck can I keep it at above 80 for a grow out tank during the winter? While at least having the front pane visible??? I have several untested ideas, but usually I'm an idiot (calling a spade a spade).

Charleston SC winters typically aren't horrible. Garage is dry walled, decked out with electric due to previous owner, but the guy went through all that and didn't insolate... (damn't!!!!!)
    -Elliot

Real Name
    Shane Sims

Default Re: "Warming Ideas" needed... for tank in garage

As a fellow idiot, I'm happy to share my dumb ideas!! I know you want to keep the front open, so maybe some spray foam insulation for the other three panes? You definitely should get a heavy glass top and at least two big heaters for redundancy. But the tough part is the front. I'd try getting one or maybe even two pieces of Lexan and cut them to fit the front of the tank. I think Lexan is a decent insulator, but it will also stay clear so you can still see the fish. And obviously I'd install the Lexan before the foam insulation in case it obstructs the front part of the tank.
    -Shane

Discus do it bare bottom.

Shane, I immediately love you, man I don't know what Lexan is, but would've loved being named "Lexan" because it sounds like a name that other dudes would say, "Dumb name" but inside would think "That's an untouched chick magnet, 'you've got my freak'n attention' name that if I wasn't balled-and-chained a matter of a few years before all of these "bumbles" and single sites, I'd probably still be an amateur male gigalo :P. (not being facetious... half joking, half serious).

Definitely will look into that. Wondering if thick styrofoam would work too (on all sides but front & top). Also had a random idea after I posted this... maybe insulate all sides & bottom and then use scrap wood (whether pallet wood and/or left over untreated wood) to make it an little indoor 55 gallon "pond" (using wood to dress up exterior). However, have it raised by approx 20" to 24" off floor with wood boards dressing it up from rim to the floor, have a hinged access for small, hidden sump & plumbing, hanging light/lights from ceiling, the perfect huge piece of driftwood that extends way up & out the tank near the ceiling to help conceal power plug(s) that plug into outlets on my ceiling (yet, during winter I'd have a lid of 3 glass pieces with snug fitting cutout around wood), and then make a skinny bar ledge on at least one side for pulling up a barstool, talking with friends, cocktail, watching football, yet have a darn high table bar with integrated discus pond (pond serving as grow out and or possible spawning tank at times). I'd position it so to divide
    the space between my left bay and right bay closest to the doors side of the garage.

Remind me to upload pics of garage... might help with visual.
    -Elliot

Real Name
    Jacob

We are much colder here in Iowa. But would think the best course would be to make a foam surround out if the ridgid 2" foam stuff from Home depot or Lowes. You could glue it together, tough certain adhesives will eat it away. So choose one saying it's OK for foam.
    The rigid stuff is closed cell so it won't get saturated if there's any dripping. Cover the top as well. Leaving the front open is tough from an insulation stand point, but you can insulate about 3/4 or so of the surfaces.

Easiest thing might be to move wife to garage and put the tank in the house.

Registered Member

Good point Jacob, wife and all.
    But, seriously my basement right now is 75 but in Jan. ,Feb and into march the ambient Temp.
    is 54 +/-.
    I had 2- 75's with 300 watt heaters and they never went off during the winter .That's the reason I got out of
    Discus. Fool that I am I'm getting back as of Sun. It's an addiction and my wife says I need an intervention
    But where would I put her?
    JAY

Real Name
    Shane Sims

Quote Originally Posted by pastry View Post
    Shane, I immediately love you, man I don't know what Lexan is, but would've loved being named "Lexan" because it sounds like a name that other dudes would say, "Dumb name" but inside would think "That's an untouched chick magnet, 'you've got my freak'n attention' name that if I wasn't balled-and-chained a matter of a few years before all of these "bumbles" and single sites, I'd probably still be an amateur male gigalo :P. (not being facetious... half joking, half serious).

Definitely will look into that. Wondering if thick styrofoam would work too (on all sides but front & top). Also had a random idea after I posted this... maybe insulate all sides & bottom and then use scrap wood (whether pallet wood and/or left over untreated wood) to make it an little indoor 55 gallon "pond" (using wood to dress up exterior). However, have it raised by approx 20" to 24" off floor with wood boards dressing it up from rim to the floor, have a hinged access for small, hidden sump & plumbing, hanging light/lights from ceiling, the perfect huge piece of driftwood that extends way up & out the tank near the ceiling to help conceal power plug(s) that plug into outlets on my ceiling (yet, during winter I'd have a lid of 3 glass pieces with snug fitting cutout around wood), and then make a skinny bar ledge on at least one side for pulling up a barstool, talking with friends, cocktail, watching football, yet have a darn high table bar with integrated discus pond (pond serving as grow out and or possible spawning tank at times). I'd position it so to divide
    the space between my left bay and right bay closest to the doors side of the garage.

Remind me to upload pics of garage... might help with visual.
    Elliot, you are a true tank design philosopher! The indoor pond sounds bad-***. I also think Jacob's suggestion of moving the wife to the garage is a solid option - I'm thinking of trying that one myself! You have to make sure name your next fish "Lexan".
    -Shane

Jacob, Brady, Shane.... *** have you guys been all my life?

Meanwhile, had Little League practice I had to coach today... wife had headed up to bedroom early and missed today's opportunity to lock her in HER garage (which her garage sucks... no personality, no organization, nor any "reason" in that one. Maybe that's why she's always in mine).
    I'll ask my best friend (pic below) if I can borrow his collar tomorrow...
    20200624_153929.jpg

... remote control has a tried & true 300m range. I'll hit the "beep" button as a warning just one time... then skipping "vibrate" warning and going straight to the orange button with the lightening bolt
    -Elliot

Real Name
    Shane Sims

HA HA!! I told my wife that joke and she didn't think it was funny. LOL Great dog BTW. Since we're sharing dog pics, here's mine:
    KIMG0121.jpg
    As you can see, they're super stressed-out.
    -Shane

Real Name
    Jacob

Registered Member

We have 3 shelties.
    They are the best

Early-on pics of garage. Still working layout but even more "personality" now than these early pics. Unsure average ambient temp here in winter.

Day time: 48-55
    Night: 38-44 (total guesses because it can be as low as 28 or as high as low 60s between late December to late March).

20210320_162616.jpg

20210220_234725.jpg

20210220_234722.jpg

20210220_234802.jpg

20210220_234731.jpg

20210322_233250.jpg
    -Elliot

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matt

What about spraying insulation foam into the cavity walls?

Real Name
    Tom

Ok just reading this . First: your 8 year old came home with a 55g tank!! Is he part hulk? Got to see a pic of your boy! Think you may have a candidate for strongest man soon! Damn all mine ever came home with were turtles! And they live very long lives! Got my first 125 because of them (not free!!! And they definitely didn’t carry it).

Brady I don’t think you’ll find a tank big enough to keep the wife ! My grandson keeps sticking his head out of his tank33106678-F8A0-447B-9A9F-A9EE2AB15DDE.jpg!

Likeing this thread . Here’s my dogs!4600BB44-1B52-4DD4-8FBB-4254E72544CC.jpg realized something just now. My dogs are 7 and 5 great companion’s and just loving dogs. And after going thur about 1k fish pics I found these from January. I may have a problem. Nahh!

Always amazed at the layout of your house and why nothing falls! HELP FRANCIS!!! My neck hurts!!

And right here at the last post what’s been going through my mind the whole time. Thanks wuvarien! And not just that put a wall up so you don’t have to look at her mess (insulate it!!).

Haaaaa! Not the Hulk... more like the master manipulator. He tracked down 2 friends and a cloth-type wagon then pulled it back to the house. My wife said, " Go look
    in my garage and see what Sully pulled home. It's an aquarium... I told him you wouldn't want it but just go check it out." I gave him a big hug, she punched herself in the face, and then I told the other two boys to get lost.

I thought about spray insulation but if it didn't work then would suck to remove. Had a quote by professional and no less than $3400 at best.
    -Elliot

Real Name
    Shane Sims

Elliot, it looks cool so far! I'm with Tom - I wish the pics wouldn't auto-rotate when you post them.
    -Shane

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast