ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Franken-Bar-Pond

Default Re: "Warming Ideas" needed... for tank in garage

Shane, I forgot! (Re: autorotate)

Sorry boss!

Meanwhile, I've had to cut out all silicone to re-do it. Someone didn't know how before me so I'm still removing silicone since I know it's pointless to re-do until 100% clean.

Going to start stealing old pallets to use for the woodwork. I love the spray foam idea and might line with wax paper... actually, maybe luan in case foam eats wax paper.
    -Elliot

Real Name
    Shane Sims

Sounds awesome. Please post the pics as it starts to come together.
    -Shane

Discus do it bare bottom.

Will do, Shane! I just re-sealed the tank. Stupidly I did a first attempt at resealing with not enough sealant on hand and I knew it wouldn't work.

Did a leak test and the 55gal still leaks. So then I took the time to stripped all silicone out of the bottom and each of the four corner joints of side panes. 36 hours ago, re-sealed it the way I should've done the first time.

Planning to re-leak test Friday afternoon (through Sunday). From there, I'll borrow someone else's vehicle when I "snatch&grab" pallets from the nearby Food Lion that's what I will use for the wood.
    -Elliot

Real Name
    Brian

I just skimmed this old thread so maybe you covered it already, but as far the tank itself, have you seen this old thread? I still insulate my tanks with Reflectix and I'm still sold on it. As long at you only care about viewing the front it's gret. I even have it only on the back side of bow front and it helps a lot to retain heat.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ight=reflectix

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    I just skimmed this old thread so maybe you covered it already, but as far the tank itself, have you seen this old thread? I still insulate my tanks with Reflectix and I'm still sold on it. As long at you only care about viewing the front it's gret. I even have it only on the back side of bow front and it helps a lot to retain heat.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ight=reflectix
    Brian, I looked it up and the same thing is now $30. a roll from Amazon.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brian

It comes in several lengths and sizes. A 2'x25' roll at Lowes is $25, way more than needed for a 55G. All anyone had in stock when that post was created was 16" wide so I had to splice it. I still use pretty low powered heaters on my tanks, 50w in my 20g's, 75w in my 30g's and 150-200w in my 55's.

Brian, THAT'S info I definitely need! Hell yeah! I was thinking of only having one END viewable. Planning on framing out a "window" on the exposed end of it.
    -Elliot

Real Name
    Shane Sims

Quote Originally Posted by pastry View Post
    Will do, Shane! I just re-sealed the tank. Stupidly I did a first attempt at resealing with not enough sealant on hand and I knew it wouldn't work.

Did a leak test and the 55gal still leaks. So then I took the time to stripped all silicone out of the bottom and each of the four corner joints of side panes. 36 hours ago, re-sealed it the way I should've done the first time.

Planning to re-leak test Friday afternoon (through Sunday). From there, I'll borrow someone else's vehicle when I "snatch&grab" pallets from the nearby Food Lion that's what I will use for the wood.
    "Snatch & Grab" at the Food Lion! Sounds like an adventure - LOL!!
    -Shane

Discus do it bare bottom.

Alright... time to slap some *** and knock the dust off of an almost year old thread. Franken-high-top-pond is under construction. I was going to wait until the contest but, I randomly started going at it since I had all sorts of different with boards that I needed to get rid of or do something with.20230813_200932.jpg

20230813_201530.jpg

20230813_201545.jpg

20230813_201603.jpg

My helpers... (... so you know this is going to be awesome... )
    20230809_212521.jpg
    -Elliot

And I will not get offended with any questions or comments on my choices. My wife is already laughing at me and not happy that I will not have either one of the long sides of the tank open for viewing. Only the very top and one little cut out on one end (as depicted... well, hopefully understandably depicted).

The other longside will have 2 hinged doors and the other short side will be butted up against a wall (so It'll probably be 1-solid scrap piece in my pile of crap).

I'll be adding a rim, staining it, clear coating it, possibly wet sanding... hell, who knows. I just couldn't get rid of the 55 gallon and I had planned on building a high top in my garage (...why not make the wooden SOB a "pond" as well? LOL)
    -Elliot

Started on the other side (which will have doors)20230813_214618.jpg
    -Elliot

Looks fun Elliot.. interesting ! Maybe compromise with your wife.. put a porthole in the front. I've visited your neck of the woods.. with all the pirate lore theres got to be some portholes laying around.

On the heating bit.. with your wood insulated tank.. a regular electric heater will be fine... however if you want fancy. You are in perfect Solar areas.. theres tons of diy solar water heater plans out there. I would think even a passive one would work for you... theres also thermostat controlled solar 12v heaters but thats going be costly.. the passive one I made up here in CT as a hot tube warmer cost me $35 in parts and used a few 2x4s , scrap plywood , a discarded clear glass shower door and a small dc circulating pump (optional).

This is pretty close to.what I used..

https://practicalsurvivalist.com/diy...-water-heater/

You'd just need to run the heated water to an insulated holding tank and . Connect that to your fishtank with a thermostat control of some sort.

Then you truly would have a unique grow out tank.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

OMG... I'm soooo sorry, Al,... but you
    you're thinking similar thoughts as me (and Al screams, "NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!...."). I'm starting to get more and more into solar

As for the porthole, I thought about that and was even going to use all pallet wood but then it got to the point where I realized that once I build this, a pile of centralized crap in my garage will then disappear due to motivation to put an awesome piece in there. So right now my garage is in the phase of going to make it worse before it gets better (...and I'm ready to get it back in order so I can break on woodwork, pick back up on painting since I'm behind on paintings, and have it ready by week 2 or 3 of college football! ... go 'Eers!... Take me Home, Country Roads!)

Poor man's panoramic below
    20230814_001335.jpg

20230814_001339.jpg

20230814_001343.jpg

20230814_001352.jpg

20230814_001355.jpg

20230814_001634.jpg
    -Elliot

Two words come to mind..

" ordered chaos"

An old friend described my basement fishroom as such...when I had one. I hereby bestow it on you.

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Two words come to mind..

" ordered chaos"

An old friend described my basement fishroom as such...when I had one. I hereby bestow it on you.

Al
    Al, needless to say (but saying anyways),... I AM HONORED Maybe Wayfair will see it, feel the idea, may get better looking than mine, and then sell it for another million while I'm farting around... well, just walking around farting in my garage ;P
    -Elliot

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast