AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Franken-Bar-Pond

Default Re: Franken-Bar-Pond

Quote Originally Posted by pastry View Post
    My youngest son literally has me doing way too much shuffling. He is a double edged sword: forces me lately to shuffle his fish around yet at least this time around, I get fish that I would love to have in my garage for Heathers to be entertained when having people over as well as just myself. But I cannot believe my wife is literally picking up a 60 gallon fish tank to keep in her garage for him for his upcoming birthday since a month ago she wasn't thinking and purchased four different predator fish that will be way too big for any of the Little tanks or plastic bins that he has filled up with water whenever I'm not looking and starts populating with any aquatic creature he can get his hands on. I asked her if she had taken any drugs while drinking when I found out she bought the bicher (and then a few days later I see two baby Oscars).

Remember, we have two separate garages. So I told her it is not going in his room because the only tank other than my show tank in Franken bar that I will maintain is the mbuna tank in his room. It's bizarre because when we got married she only allowed me to have one show tank and now she is a contributor to his addiction of tank after tank after tank. He definitely got my jeans but then he's even better because he can manipulate her when I can't even get her to get off a damn ipad.
    Ouch! Deep breaths my friend
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Quote Originally Posted by pastry View Post
    Added a few more mbuna. 1 male auratus, 1 female auratus, 1 1" auratus, 2 white top afra males. There were already 6 baby auratus in there. I had to move them so 11 new 1.25-2" mbuna can grow in son's tank (4 super red hongi, 3 more white tops, and 4 Nkhomo Limes).

There are a ton

of rocks in Franken-bar-pond but can't tell in these pics due to adding more sand. The mom auratus has little ones in her mouth. Need to hurry up and multiply in order to dilute aggression.

Attachment 137961

Attachment 137962

Attachment 137963

Attachment 137964

Beach sand? Remind me whats the filtration on this tank currently Elliot?
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Yes, Sir... beach sand from folly beach. Meanwhile, I took an old canister filter out of storage that I used to use for my 150. I definitely need to hurry up & add more. Here are some quick shots this morning since it's cleared up.
    20231216_134130.jpg

20231216_134025.jpg

20231216_134017.jpg

Few random pics of an unintended, additional garage tank. My nemo koi galaxy that a guy at Petco surprised me with (knowing thats my favorite type... although only 1 scale with turquoise to qualify it with "galaxy", but I'll take it!) after giving him some java fern & some unwanted fish. He's built a 10"L x 3" W nest. I put a honey colored female in there which is derived from a hellboy pair 1.5 years ago I bred (I had 2 honey colored fry from that hellboy pair; super unexpected but that's why I LOVE genetics!)

20231216_135027.jpg

20231216_135038.jpg

20231216_135244.jpg
    Last edited by pastry; 12-16-2023 at 03:07 PM.
    -Elliot

Wow... I reread some of my posts and I feel pretty dumb (... well, dumber than normal/ expected). "Jeans" instead of genes, "Heathers" instead of others (LMAO), and I'm sure there's more.

Well just remember, this is just a fun, half-arsed project; however, I want to improve it over time since it's been a neat idea. It still drives people nuts on how they can only see from the top or that single skinny side but that affords me to shove all sorts of foam and old blankets inside of it in order to insulate it without people even seeing it. It's gotten down to 33 degrees in the garage one night yet the tank retained a 78 degree temp (I also use 2" polyurethane foam to cover the porthole at night time and you can probably see the two strips that I use underneath the porthole in some of the pics). I have to work on a removable top (or a combo top). If anyone has any ideas, even if they are wild, let me know because I would love to figure out a good idea for the top. But once you keep it warm at night time during the winter but still want to view the fish when using the garage. Also need the light to still be able to light up the aquarium but I want to see them. For the time being, I have leftover pieces of plexiglass and then I threw a few random coats and boat seat cushion on top to help retain heat. In the warmer parts of the year, I won't need the top (April and November, just a top at night).
    -Elliot

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Palram-S...4040/305560353

Easy to cut and can be doubled up. I bought a box of it on Amazon for lids works great and insulates.

You could also use foam board for the top. .. cut a light strip in and glue a piece.of plexi glass. Instant insulated tank lid on the cheap. I use them here from time to time..
    Can see it here.

20231026_075202.jpg

Used on an outdoor qt tank this past fall.

Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Al, I'd seriously give you a big ol' kiss with that "trick of the trade". BRILLLLLIANT!
    -Elliot

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345