AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: General Tank Questions & Recommendations

Real Name
    Frank

Default General Tank Questions & Recommendations

Hi Gang,

I am strongly looking into upgrading in latter fall my main tank, moving from 75 to somewhere in the 100-120g range. I would sell the 75g.
    Several questions I along these lines.

1. I am looking at acrylic, simply due to tank weight considerations. I think it scratches more easy but am I missing something here. The tank would end up being the main tank in my study.

2. I want something "easily" maintainable so not huge. My thoughts are 48/60L, 18D (24?), but how high? My existing is 20 inch which is probably maximal. Thoughts.

3. Inside the tank would be simple. Maybe an inch of sand or paint the underside. Maybe an ornamental piece of driftwood. Suggestions.

4. I would stock it at 8-10 gallons per discus?

5. Lastly, I will put my existing stock in an empty 40g breeder during setup. Can you clean this glass tank with rubbing alcohol or is there a better substance?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Real Name
    Shane Sims

Default Re: General Tank Questions & Recommendations

These are all just opinions:

1. I don't know much about acrylic other than it's usually over-priced compared to glass. I know you're worried about weight, but if you can get a glass tank moved in, you shouldn't have to move it again anytime soon hopefully.
    2. Shorter and longer is easier to clean.
    3. I'm a big fan of bare-bottom with a painted bottom (outside of course) that looks like sand. I don't like having to worry about what's lurking in the substrate.
    4. I'd stock at 10 gallons per discus bare minimum, and 12 if you can. Stress is real.
    5. Clean your glass tank with regular chlorine bleach, let it sit, and then just rinse with water. The bleach will dissipate, and dose with Prime like normal to remove any residual bleach. The Prime removes any little bits of left-over bleach just like it would the chlorine from tap water. Just be sure to fully cycle your breeder after you use the chlorine, because it will kill any nitrifying bacteria.
    -Shane

Discus do it bare bottom.

Real Name
    Frank

Thanks Shane. Helpful comments. Always wanted an acrylic tank even though it's premium. We will see how things progress as the Fall season comes.

Real Name
    Tom

I use acrylic. It’s just lighter and easier to move. One of my tanks is a 180 and all I need is one other person to move it. I’ve got 2 125s that I can move myself. Yes they scratch so be careful. Though the scratches are seen mostly when water changing on the empty side. Full most aren’t seen. Yes they cost more but they are at least 3 times stronger than glass.
    Right now I have 5 acrylic tanks and will never get glass again. Glass is just to hard to move. Proof B1C3B39B-98A4-4C01-B920-F6ABFB89C5E3.jpg these 2 220s were on the side of the road last weekend I didn’t take them because of the weight .

Now if you buy new the outside bottom of the tank comes with a brown sand colored backing that peals off. I leave that on for bare bottom.192BAABD-34D3-48FF-91C3-1138528227A9.jpg88FD88C5-4FDC-409F-8D6C-8A5522CAA6B1.jpg. When buying used some people have removed the backing but most havnt. I’ve bought 4 used ones and only 1 didn’t have it.

As to scratches they can be polished out. Can’t do that with glass . As to size my 125s are 60”x18x24. And for me very workable.

Real Name
    Frank

Exactly Tom. Good news on the paper. I prefer a bare bottom.
    Any supplier suggestions?

Real Name
    Tom

The ones I’ve bought new are all Clear for life. Best place now to find them is pet smart online. They usually have sales on them and they deliver to the house. I never read a bad review for CFL. Most failed (and they are few) are from custom made tanks. Bought used I have 2 sea clears a 50 and a 36. Both qt tanks. Others I’ve bought used was a 75 tenacore which had to be 25+ yrs old and a 30yr old clarity plus with a 1” craze on the front pane. Both of these were scratched up but with novus scratch cleaner they came out fine. Next I say don’t get one with the colored backing get clear. The first tank pic has a black permanent background and to me just darkened the discus. What’s on it now is a rock look background that is in the tank. Second tank is clear with the standard pet store background taped on.

Registered Member

You can get great pricing on eBay

glass is HEAVY, and it also scratches.
    for easy of maintenance, i've always found the issue is when they are tall, so going shorter would solve that. i've always thought the height of a standard 75 was a nice compromise. i think my current one is 25" tall, and you get a wet ear reaching to corners.
    also, consider a sump, maybe turn your 75 into a sump under a nice big acrylic : )

Real Name
    Frank

I was a little hesitant on Clear for Life. I would not want a black background but I was considering blue.

Real Name
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by captainandy View Post
    You can get great pricing on eBay
    Good thought. Thanks.

Real Name
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
    glass is HEAVY, and it also scratches.
    for easy of maintenance, i've always found the issue is when they are tall, so going shorter would solve that. i've always thought the height of a standard 75 was a nice compromise. i think my current one is 25" tall, and you get a wet ear reaching to corners.
    also, consider a sump, maybe turn your 75 into a sump under a nice big acrylic : )
    A sump … I have heard wonderful things about using a sump. For all my years (and variety of fish), I have not used a sump. Presently using sponges and a Fluval FX4 on my tanks.

Real Name
    Tom

Thing is if you get blue that’s it only way to change it is to put something in front of it. Here’s my 90 with blue.A283854C-9B1A-4022-9B36-A7AA91C1E319.jpg. I prefer clear for life. I’ve got 3 now.

Real Name
    Frank

Tom, do you have a thread on your sump construction? Did you drill of just use an intake hose?

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by fljones3 View Post
    Hi Gang,

I am strongly looking into upgrading in latter fall my main tank, moving from 75 to somewhere in the 100-120g range. I would sell the 75g.
    Several questions I along these lines.

1. I am looking at acrylic, simply due to tank weight considerations. I think it scratches more easy but am I missing something here. The tank would end up being the main tank in my study.

2. I want something "easily" maintainable so not huge. My thoughts are 48/60L, 18D (24?), but how high? My existing is 20 inch which is probably maximal. Thoughts.

3. Inside the tank would be simple. Maybe an inch of sand or paint the underside. Maybe an ornamental piece of driftwood. Suggestions.

4. I would stock it at 8-10 gallons per discus?

5. Lastly, I will put my existing stock in an empty 40g breeder during setup. Can you clean this glass tank with rubbing alcohol or is there a better substance?

Thanks for the suggestions.
    Hi Frank, I am a big fan of acrylic tanks. I would suggest a 125 which would be 4 ft x 24 in and 24 inches tall. And yes, they do scratch easy.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Tom

Sorry did not do a thread on it. It’s a wet/dry not a sump. It’s an old amiracle wet/dry. It was made for an outside pump so I sealed that plug and used a jebao dc pump. It’s moveing about 1200gph. No drilling of the tank I bought a eshopps duel overflow for it using hoses. Been running for 6 months now and it’s doing great. I do have another filter in the tank. An odyssea 350 internal filter. Tanks crystal clear.8CB2C203-EFA4-41E7-98E0-B4C10359DBD3.jpg

You can buy used sumps online and sometimes dirt cheap. But you’ll most likely need to buy new media for them. Next you can buy a new system. These are expensive. Especially when you get them with everything (but the pump). I also have an aqua-link 150 wet/dry bought off eBay. This was new and a full unit but the pump. Been running this for almost 4 yrs now. Pump is a jebao dc. So far these pumps hold up great. Next I have an eshopps 125 that I bought off marketplace. The owner never used it. Was to much filter for him. Great for me . I ran it for 2 yrs but broke down that tank. Will be setting it up in my 90 one of these days!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast