AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: heater position

Registered Member

Default heater position

I just bought 2 aquion ,300w heaters. In the directions it says that they are most efficient in a
    vertical position. This does not make sense to me.I figure that in a vertical position the heated
    water is rising up along the tube and will affect the thermostat of the heater,giving a false reading for the rest
    of the tank. From day one many years ago I have always put the heaters in a horizontal position
    on the bottom of the tank figuring that the heated water is rising more efficiently into the water column
    being disperse through out the tank more efficiently. .
    Can any folks on this form tell me the reasoning for vertical vs. horizontal?
    Thank you
    Jay

Default Re: heater position

I don't get it either. I've always just let mine lay on the tank bottom. BTW, I'm sure you will be happy with your Aqueon Pro heaters. There are more expensive ways to go using a temperature controller, but unless money is not a problem these are the best and most reliable.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tom

You didn’t get the pro though? Is yours glass or metal? I’ve got both and the glass one don’t work correctly horizontally. It really doesn’t work well period. It’s made by the same company but only the pros are reliable and I do run mine horizontally.

Registered Member

Yes I did get the 20$ vs the 40$ one. The only difference I could tell was the tube. The $40$ pro had a titanium or whatever
    And the 20$ one was glass. The only reason they and others have come out with these tubes is to protect the idiots from them
    self's when they do a w/c and for get to turn the heater off and crack the tube.
    Time will tell how good they are, right now they are spot on holding Temp.

Registered Member

Several years ago a few heater manufacturers incorporated a tilt switch into the design for "safety", go too far past vertical and the do not work correctly if at all. You can tilt them somewhat to have it dissipate the heated water flow away somewhat instead of going directly straight up the sides. FTR I also used to hang mine completely horizontal for the very reason you described.
    Mine were Aqueon Pro, they were a plastic material.

Quote Originally Posted by brady View Post
    Yes I did get the 20$ vs the 40$ one. The only difference I could tell was the tube. The $40$ pro had a titanium or whatever
    And the 20$ one was glass. The only reason they and others have come out with these tubes is to protect the idiots from them
    self's when they do a w/c and for get to turn the heater off and crack the tube.
    Time will tell how good they are, right now they are spot on holding Temp.
    I hope that you aren't disappointed with them as time goes on.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Well Liz, all heaters are are going to die sooner or later. So here's hoping or a long lie.
    JAY

Lol, Jay

Mine are usually in a sump now-days or "somewhat" horizontal or vertical. Approx 6-8 months ago got my first "smart" looking heater with external digital controls and might continue to trend that direction... but nothing wrong with current, standard submersible heaters in my book (unless accidentally forgetting to unplug during water change that exposes them.... "WTH is that smell? Someone burning hair or over-cooking the crap out of a vegetable?.... CRAP!"
    -Elliot

Real Name
    Willie

I do 100% W/C daily, so every heater is exposed to air everyday in my fishroom. I only have low cost glass heaters, but they do not explode despite repeated exposures. I actually designed my fishroom so all the heaters are on a single circuit. The plan was to turn off that circuit during water changes. But I forgot to do so and no heater exploded, so I've stopped doing it.

How long are the heaters out of the water? I'd estimate ~60 seconds. If I go longer, I get that smell. Although I was have heaters in reserve, I haven't replaced a heater in about 2 years now. Frankly, heater construction has improved substantially in the past decade. They're using thicker glass. Credit should be given to the manufacturers for improving their product.
    At my age, everything is irritating.