ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many discus at once is too much?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matt

Default How many discus at once is too much?

I have a new 700L tank arriving next week. I plan on getting it started using Seachem stability, and getting 15 Stendker discus before they become harder to source from them closing down.

Would 15 at once create too much of a bio load on the tank?

Default Re: How many discus at once is too much?

What size are the Discus you're getting. In any case, do keep an eye on the fish and the water parameters. I've used Stability with great success but usually still have to do large water changes until the filter catches up with the bio load.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brian

Just keep up with every day or other day water changes and you should be fine... Your filter will seed itself in a few weeks...

Real Name
    Willie

I suggest you go with something like https://store.drtimsaquatics.com/one...-bacteria.html instead. It's a little more expensive but works much better. I would add this at least a week prior to adding the discus to jump start cycling.

Good luck, Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    What size are the Discus you're getting. In any case, do keep an eye on the fish and the water parameters. I've used Stability with great success but usually still have to do large water changes until the filter catches up with the bio load.
    They'll be 6-8cm

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    I suggest you go with something like https://store.drtimsaquatics.com/one...-bacteria.html instead. It's a little more expensive but works much better. I would add this at least a week prior to adding the discus to jump start cycling.

Good luck, Willie
    Thank you! i'll have a look
    Last edited by wuvarien; 09-07-2022 at 08:24 AM.

Real Name
    Jacob

When I originally set up my 75, I was (very unscientifically) cycling it with pure ammonia and starter bacteria (I used Fritz Zyme 7). Once the fish went in 10x2.5" Stendkers, I took Liz's advice of Prime + Stability + large daily changes. I started doing 60% water changes daily, but after getting my water change/aging setup finished I started doing 90% changes nightly.

I had purchased two bottles of the Fritz Zyme 7 and towards the end of the cycling period I decided I might as well use the stuff because I had no other use for it. Dumped it in after a water change and created an emergency. No clue what the actual mechanism was and everyone ended up in a 10 gallon for a couple days, but I waited about 36 or 48 hours to move them and one died during that time. I ended up cleaning/sanitizing the entire tank, boiled all of the filter media (I just have sponge filters). So totally reset the cycle. To re-cycle I just continued with the large daily changes + Prime and Stability. Nothing really has a chance to become an issue when you're doing it that way. I guess the biggest point here is that I didn't miss a water change for about 4 months. So... set yourself up to change a lot of water efficiently, make it a habit. It's just nearly automatic for me now. Mine are 5-5.5" now (going on 7 months) and I have skipped a couple of weekend water changes when we travel. And about six straight water changes (no feed) when we spent a week in a cabin in June. They were fine, but you don't want to do that while you're actively fish-in cycling.

Doing what Willie suggests coupled with what Liz is saying is probably the best bet. I'm only sharing my Fritz Zyme 7 story because I don't think I'd be a big fan of dumping a bottle of that stuff in while I have fish in after having the experience I did. I did use the stuff before I put my discus in and I do think those live bacteria cultures help. I even have had luck with the Tetra Start stuff from Walmart. They seem good at jump starting the bacteria that breaks down ammonia, but the nitrite to nitrate bacteria are significantly more slow to grow numbers.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    *snip*
    That sounds like a nightmare situation!

I was thinking that with it being a 700L tank I should have some room to play around without it spiking too much. I know I'll be doing daily water changes but just didn't want to risk a massive crash causing harm to the fish by adding so many at once

Registered Member

You should set up a much smaller tank for about 6 weeks and do the daily water changes. The other tank can cycle during this time period, especially if you transfer wood, rock, etc and a sponge filter into the new tank

Real Name
    Tom

Yeah I’m with Andy on this. Not so much on the cycling but definitely on grow out. If you put them in a 50g and change 70% water daily and feed them as often as you can they will grow quickly. In about 2 months some will hit the 4.5 size. These can than be moved into the 180g. Now with those gone the rest should start growing faster and the cycle in the 180 will start moving along. Now just move the fish over as they hit the 4.5” size and your main tank should cycle nicely and those left in the 50 will be given a better chance to grow.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post

Good luck, Willie
    Dr. Tim originally made this for Marineland and it came refrigerated only.
    More than once I was able to pour water in a tank add water conditioner, the bio soup and 24hrs later add fish. This stuff and the Marineland bio is the only bio solution I've ever used. IT WORKS! No BS. Not once did I ever experience a high ammonia or nitrite spike after adding fish with either of the above products.
    Prior to these two products coming out on the market I had used Fritz #7 I found it a huge waste of money. I never had adverse affects it just didn't work at all.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matt

Cheers for all the advice!

I collect the discus in 2 weeks time, so getting the tank up and settled as best I can. Seachem Stability was the easiest to get here in the UK

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matt

Update -

Discus added and been in for just over 48hrs so far, got a small Ammonia spike which was expected but managing it with some prime and water changes. Doing well and eating like champs!
    Last edited by wuvarien; 10-05-2022 at 01:43 PM.

Real Name
    Frank

Any pictures?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by fljones3 View Post
    Any pictures?
    Unfortunately when I put the Aquarium light it made them go mad, darting around (one even knocked themselves out for a couple of seconds) now they won't leave the corner when ever I'm close... Hoping they calm down by the morning so I can get a decent picture

Real Name
    Tom

This does happen for a few days. Leave the light off for awhile. Continue changing water and feed after water change. Gets them expecting food whenever they see you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast