AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many discus at once is too much?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matt

Default Re: How many discus at once is too much?

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    This does happen for a few days. Leave the light off for awhile. Continue changing water and feed after water change. Gets them expecting food whenever they see you.
    Thanks for the advice! If I sit down at the tank they'll swim to me and stare, so progress is good!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matt

https://youtu.be/MPTSWyrAQ78

they came out for breakfast this morning

Real Name
    Tom

Very nice!! Now if you remove the s in the https before you load it it will show here without us having to go to utube .

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matt

Update: Ammonia is constantly showing as 1ppm on API test kit. Despite large water changes this never changes, tap water comes out at 0ppm. I've added another seeded sponge from another tank to hopefully help get this down. Fish seem fine in themselves.

I've heard/read that prime *can* prevent BB growth, has anyone come across this?

Real Name
    Jacob

Are you checking for ammonia in your tap water before or after using Prime. I'm pretty sure ammonia shows up when you dechlorinate with prime (and maybe any of them that deal with chloramine). I could be mistaken, however.

Real Name
    Frank

I am speaking from memory but doesn't API test total ammonia? Since you are using PRIME, API is showing non-toxic ammonia. That would be the reason the fish seem ok. Now, having said that, you do want the total ammonia going towards zero.
    Help me out on this, guys.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    Are you checking for ammonia in your tap water before or after using Prime. I'm pretty sure ammonia shows up when you dechlorinate with prime (and maybe any of them that deal with chloramine). I could be mistaken, however.
    I have checked my tap, and my aged water which comes from a HMA filter. Both are 0ppm. I'll check the water after prime and see!

Quote Originally Posted by fljones3 View Post
    I am speaking from memory but doesn't API test total ammonia? Since you are using PRIME, API is showing non-toxic ammonia. That would be the reason the fish seem ok. Now, having said that, you do want the total ammonia going towards zero.
    Help me out on this, guys.
    It does indeed, but surely after a week of a seeded filter the Ammonia shouldn't be on 1ppm still?

I also purchased a Seachem Ammonia Alert, which is sitting on 0.05ppm. This is meant to measure the NH3 only
    Last edited by wuvarien; 10-13-2022 at 10:46 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12