ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Discus in harder water.

Real Name
    Francis

Default Re: Discus in harder water.

When introducing new stock, take one of your least favourite existing stock(this might sound mean but there's no other way to accomplish this without adding at least one "old" fish to your new additions), and add it to the QT tank...observe for the next 2 weeks...if there is no issues that develops in the QT, then you may try to mix the groups of fish.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Carter

I might just go with asian bred discus then. Was really leaning towards stendkers because of them being born in hard water, but seems like asian discus will do just fine as well. Thank you.

Real Name
    Tom

A lot of sponsors put up there inventory monthly. Here’s Pingco’shttp://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...list-included)

Real Name
    Carter

If you don't mind me asking, what size did you buy yours from pingco at? And what type is the discus on the far right on the last picture you attached? It is so gorgeous.

Real Name
    Tom

Those are 4.5. Ping really is a nice guy to deal with. The red ones are red tiger snakeskin. Here’s a video of the 4 I just got. The tigers are the red ones with the taller fins. I’m pretty sure they are 2 males. The other 2 are red jaguars they are the blueish ones with the shorter fins that I believe are both females. I know for sure the 2 on the right are a pair. They’ve layed eggs twice since I’ve got them. .FD7ED6F5-73BB-4B28-8A9B-775376CDCA0E.jpg

Real Name
    Carter

I'm thinking about buying just a group of 6, 3 1/2 - 4 inch discus instead of a larger pack of 2 1/2 inch discus. Would they do okay like that? I'm not hunting any color at all, just hoping the bigger ones will do better. I really do not care what my discus look like as a beginner, as long as I get ones that are healthy. Would probably add to that group of discus down the line if I can prove that I am able of keeping them. This is a 180 gallon tank + 40ish gallon sump. If I do that, probably puts the nail in the coffin for stendker discus since I can only get them once. Will take a look at all of the different sponsors.
    Last edited by solasis; 09-22-2022 at 03:58 AM.

Real Name
    Steve

I recently had a good experience with that size from Golden State Discus (Sponsor). They don't offer many actual photos on their site, but you can ask. They have a good supplier. I've never had a tank that large, but I think a group of 6 should be fine.

Real Name
    Carter

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I agree with Tom. Wattley is fine if you can go there and choose your own fish. Go with a sponsor and don't buy fish less than 2 1/2".

Don't forget, you are new at Discus. Having so little experience with Discus, I suggest that you not accidently bite off more than you can chew.

You haven't said a word about your plans for WC.
    Hi. Just wanted to get clarification on what you and Tom meant by Wattley being unreliable. Is that health wise? Color wise? Or both?

Thanks

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by solasis View Post
    Hi. Just wanted to get clarification on what you and Tom meant by Wattley being unreliable. Is that health wise? Color wise? Or both?

Thanks
    I'm not going to comment specifically on Gabe Posada or his Wattley operation. Rather, you should consider the following in general about purchasing discus.

Simply Discus sponsors cater to a more advanced discus keeping customer base here than the general public. Dissatisfaction with their discus for any reason may well be posted here for all to see. Any obvious deficiencies in shape, color, size, as well as health, will be seen by every SD member. As a result, the sponsors have to be ultra careful to make sure this customer base is satisfied. That same assurance doesn't exist when you buy from a non-sponsor or a local fish store.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Carter

Hey everyone. Just wanted to give a little update. I decided to go with Golden State Discus, who I am purchasing 11 fish from. Tank has been running nicely so far. All of my current inhabitants (36 rummynose tetras) are all doing great. My plan is to do about 50% water change daily on these guys, at least until they get older. I purchased a 100 gallon tub for my water changes. I didn't find a PH shift from my hose water 24 hours later, but I still am aging water for the purpose of heating it. Having this large container to store water makes water changes a breeze. Takes me 20-25 minutes to clean the sand, drain the tank, and fill it back up all together. They should hopefully be here next week. Appreciate all of the great information from here and the facebook group.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12