ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discus in harder water.

Real Name
    Carter

Question Discus in harder water.

Hello! I have been keeping fish for a long time but I am very interested in trying out discus. My problem: hard water.

I know this is a very common thread but I'd still like some guidance.

My water parameters are:
    8.2 PH
    270 PPM GH (15ish dGH)
    10 dKH
    550 TDS.

Is my water able to keep any discus, or do I need to use an RO system? I do have one on hand, but it's only 75 GPD so it would make water changes quite the hassle. I am also worried about the amount of chemicals I would need to add for remineralization. I always hear consistency is king so that does scare me. I currently have a tank of rummynose tetras, cardinal tetras, apistogrammas, and angelfish who are fine in my dechlorinated tap water.

Is a method like this just to get my PH down worth it? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMaw3lFx4Lg

Any tips would be much appreciated.

Real Name
    Carter

Default Re: Discus in harder water.

Would also like to add, what is everyone's thoughts about using something like muriatic acid or discus buffer to lower the PH if I decide to go with tap water?

Real Name
    Jacob

I have been keeping my Stendkers from Discus Hans since February in 8.3 pH, both gH and kH are in the 20-22 degree range. No problems and they're growing just fine.

Some threads I started awhile back. Water parameter numbers might not be exact/consistent in every post, but the theme is high pH and HARD water.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...gh-pH-question

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...st-discus-tank

Good luck! I am far from an expert, but Liz and Willie and some others here helped get me squared away. Any trouble I have had hasn't been related to my tap water other than chloramines in a spring switch-up.

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by solasis View Post
    My water parameters are:
    8.2 PH
    270 PPM GH (15ish dGH)
    10 dKH
    550 TDS.
    You can raise very nice discus with this water just by making regular water changes with straight tap. R/O would be needed for breeding, but that's not imminent.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Carter

Thank you! I was wondering, are only stendker discus good in my water? I wanted to purchase from Hans but unfortunately he said that he will be out of stock for awhile until he finds a new supplier. I was thinking about ordering from Jack Wattley or Myrtle Beach Discus instead, would they be fine in my water? I'm not sure of anyone else in the US who imports German discus besides Hans.

Real Name
    Jacob

He's got quite a few on his website (https://discusfishstore.com/) still, solasis. But I suppose if you want a certain type he might not have it.
    I can't speak to other suppliers discus working with your water.

Real Name
    Carter

Yeah, I was looking for smaller discus as I wanted to grow them out myself. I did visit a fish shop today who had Jack Wattley discus living in Arizona tap, so it definitely seems like an option! I was also considering just doing a mix of RO and tap, but that could just be a big hassle that may cause issues down the line.

Asian Discus do just as well in hard water. Have you ever checked your pH swing after aeration in a bucket compared to what you have coming straight from the tap. Willie believes that a constant pH swing is OK. I have found that a swing over .4 stresses the fish over time. That's why I age my water for 24 hrs before I do a WC.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tom

Whattleys just aren’t reliable. 2.5 also is too small. Being your new to discus get the biggest you can afford. Check the sponsors here. I know pingco does get in 3.5 discus for good prices. Check his site he just got fish in. Discus will adjust to the ph.

I agree with Tom. Wattley is fine if you can go there and choose your own fish. Go with a sponsor and don't buy fish less than 2 1/2".

Don't forget, you are new at Discus. Having so little experience with Discus, I suggest that you not accidently bite off more than you can chew.

You haven't said a word about your plans for WC.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Carter

Hi! I already have buckets in place to age water as that is what I do with my current 60 gallon community tank. For water changes, I can do whatever is needed. I work from home and have lots of free time on my hands. I was planning on doing %20-30 every three days, but I can definitely increase that if the parameters seem off! For purchasing discus, I have ruled out Jack Whattley. I found a local importer near me who sells 3.5-4 inch discus that are already acclimated to my tap water so I may just go with him. Larger fish that don't need to be shipped is a big plus! On the other hand, Super Cichlids told me they will be getting in some Stendker discus in the next few weeks. So those are looking like my current options right now.

Realized I never added a note about my tank size. It's a 6' x 2' x 2' with a sump, so probably 200ish gallons in total. I will most likely be doing 30-40 tetras, some corys, and 10-12 discus. Water temp I'm not 100% sure of and I'd like some suggestions! Is it better to keep it at 82-83, or go higher with 85-86? Not trying to raise huge discus, just keep them healthy and same with my other tank mates.
    Last edited by solasis; 09-21-2022 at 05:38 AM.

Real Name
    Tom

Before you buy take some pics and put them up here. Let the people here see them and tell you if there any good. Shipping discus is an overnight thing. Commonly done these days. Most fish are being shipped these days. 90% of mine have been shipped from at least 6 different places. All of these fish are so much better than whats available locally. The sponsors here get fish and sell out quickly we’re as the local pet store may have the same fish for months.

For a 200g tank your going to want to change at least 120g a week. So if your storing your water you will want to look into a 50g drum to store water. Many put a pump and heater in the bottom of the drum and move the water that way. Since it’s a new tank and these will be the first in it will also be a qt tank. Any future discus or fish should be qt for at least 4 weeks before entering your 200g. A 30-50g qt tank is needed to keep discus! I keep mine at 83-84*. I don’t suggest Stendker. They do seem to be going out of business and there discus don’t adjust to Asian discus to good. And with Asian being all that’s left…. Here’s a pic of my 180g with 30g sumpA0BD1D35-45CB-4012-BAC4-EFDB0BB8C7DC.jpg and some discus I’ve just bought from Pingco.A476E825-9943-428F-AE73-53D60345684A.jpg1A162A69-2F91-46AD-86A6-55F3DC15032F.jpg54093385-4682-4B33-8463-017C71CB7855.jpg

Real Name
    Carter

Wow they are beautiful!! You make a good point about Asian discus being all that there is left. I guess if they can both adapt to our water, should probably go with the ones who will be available in the future. What happens when stendkers and Asian discus mix? And yeah, I have two 42 gallon brute trash cans ready for water changes.

Real Name
    Francis

It doesn't matter Asian or German or not.. It can be two different discus farms with different immunities. By mixing from two sources is always risky but new discus need to be quarantined and just settle and you can keep an eye out that they are eating well, no flukes or parasites etc and just be sure they are thriving. Some prefer prophylactically treating new fish for worms or other parasites...that is a personal choice .

Quote Originally Posted by solasis View Post
    Wow they are beautiful!! You make a good point about Asian discus being all that there is left. I guess if they can both adapt to our water, should probably go with the ones who will be available in the future. What happens when stendkers and Asian discus mix? And yeah, I have two 42 gallon brute trash cans ready for water changes.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Carter

So if I buy 10 stendkers in the next few weeks, then 5 Asian discus a few months later, as long as I quarantine that new bunch it will be fine?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast