ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Treat the whole tank?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Default Treat the whole tank?

Hi Guys,

Over the past year, I've had discus with white/poop/bloating which I have treated with metro for 10-12 days daily. Currently, only 1 fish is sick. I've always been the type to treat the whole tank because if one fish has hexa, probably the others are likely infected or may be on their way to get sick. Do others treat their whole tank (mine is about 150 gals) or do people QT and treat in a smaller tank? The amount of metro is vastly different in a 20 gal QT tank.

thanks!

Default Re: Treat the whole tank?

What's strange is that this is recurring. Are you treating with pure metro at 500mg per 10 gallons? Are you treating in a BB tank? If so, I'd go for 14 days. If not, I'd move all the Discus to a smaller BB tank if you have one. It will be less expensive but the length of treatment still make it a PITA.

In answer to your question, I always treat the entire tank unless I'm cleaning up a pair prior to breeding.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

I’ve treated twice in the past year. Yeah I wish none would get it.

Registered Member

To me, the hassle of moving fish (and their potential stress) to a smaller tank out weighs the benefits of having to use fewer meds.

I'm currently doing a metro treatment myself, but I only have a 55 gallon so the meds cost isn't that high.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

I just bought 500g from jehmco. Cheapest out there. I’m treating twice daily 500-600mg/10 gal in the water column. Siphoning debri before the next treatment 8hrs apart. I do t usually do the twice daily treatment. Do people recommend the full 10-12 days or maybe just a week?

I never dose twice a day. Once a day works fine. Either way I suggest you go the entire 12 days. It helps if you can increase the heat up to 93 degrees.
    Mama Bear