AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: HITH getting worse after treating with Metro

Registered Member

Default HITH getting worse after treating with Metro

So it all started 6 months or so with my fish getting torn fins which looked bacterial due to getting bullied she was in a 75g qt with 12 other discus. This was atleast 7 months ago. i moved to 20g qt tank and i treated first with heavy salt 2 tbsp per gallon to no avail fish seemed to turn dark and get worse. i then treated twice with metro/prazi for ten days each time and on the second treatment i raised the temp and fish seemed to improve. Since then fish has been eating well but still dark in color and never seemed to get 100%, About 6 weeks ago i noticed pits on head but thought nothing of it until about 3 weeks ago i figured it was HITH so i turned temp up to 92F and treated with 1/8 tsp of metro (.5grams) for 14 days. She is in a 20 gal qt tank. The pits have only seemed to get bigger so can i treat her again with metro maybe a higher dosage? discus.jpgRaise temp to 95F? Use aquarium salt this time? What is the best course of treatment. water is changed daily and parameters are good. ph at 8.2 or so. PLEASE HELP i dont wanna lose her.
    Last edited by robdom973; 09-15-2022 at 07:10 PM.

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: HITH getting worse after treating with Metro

Is it just this one discus? Reasons for HITH can vary. Some say carbon in the filter can cause it. Another cause can be diet or inability to absorb nutrients in food, which could be caused by internal parasites. A lack of minerals in the water... Can you examine the feces under a microscope?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    Is it just this one discus? Reasons for HITH can vary. Some say carbon in the filter can cause it. Another cause can be diet or inability to absorb nutrients in food, which could be caused by internal parasites. A lack of minerals in the water... Can you examine the feces under a microscope?
    Yes it's just one discus I have in qt. No carbon only running sponge filter. Mostly daily water changes. Eats most freeze dried black worms, brine shrimp, some flakes, and freeze dried krill soaked with vitamin drops.

Real Name
    Jacob

What does mostly daily changes mean, like most days you are changing water? And how much are you changing?

Real Name
    Jacob

I think recommended dose for metro was about twice what you did, something like 0.5g per 10 gallons.
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?137623-Metronidazole-treatment-question&highlight=Metronidazole