ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Cant figure out why discus keep dying

Registered Member

Default Cant figure out why discus keep dying

hello all,

I have a 400 gallon discus tank with around 10 discus, 50 neons, 4 roseline sharks and 20 corys. The tank is heavily planted with a sand bottom.

Parameters are

PH - 6.7
    Temp - 83
    TDS - 115
    Nitrate, Nitrite and ammonia are 0.

A few of my discus have been dying off the last few weeks, water changes are done weekly. There are no signs of ick. One of the powder blue discus turned to a dark black color, which makes me believe its the discus plague. But no others are showing signs. Some are sitting near the bottom or surface and not being very active. All are eating and I've tried using focus and general cure in pellet food starting 2 days ago. Any other help would be very much appreciated.

Default Re: Cant figure out why discus keep dying

Green,
    Definitely copy and paste the questionnaire within this section because it will give us the best idea on how to help after you answer each question. There could be a few different things going on that are totally different in regards to treating, and I had something similar not too long ago to happen over a long period of time and if it's the same then definitely would love to hear the lesson learned so you don't wait too long.
    -Elliot

Real Name
    Tom

Pictures may help. If turning black has anything been added to the tank? Has anything changed. Are there any blotchy spots on them. Best seen if looking sideways at the discus. I found discus tend to get bacterial infections pretty easy. What I’ve used with good results is rid-ich plus. Another with some of the same ingredients is seachem polyguard. I’m trying that now in my main tank.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by pastry View Post
    Green,
    Definitely copy and paste the questionnaire within this section because it will give us the best idea on how to help after you answer each question. There could be a few different things going on that are totally different in regards to treating, and I had something similar not too long ago to happen over a long period of time and if it's the same then definitely would love to hear the lesson learned so you don't wait too long.
    Yes!! This is very helpful and can avoid excessive Q&A as well as save time... http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...lease-complete

Real Name
    Francis

Tom, Seachem Polyguard Active ingredients are sulfathiazole (36%), malachite green (1.9%), nitrofurantoin (0.14%), nitrofural (0.14%), quinacrine dihydrochloride (0.27%). Inactive ingredients: excipients (61%) and completely different to Kordon Rid Itch Plus active ingredients contains 4.26% of formalin and 0.038% of zinc-free chloride salt of malachite green.

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Pictures may help. If turning black has anything been added to the tank? Has anything changed. Are there any blotchy spots on them. Best seen if looking sideways at the discus. I found discus tend to get bacterial infections pretty easy. What I’ve used with good results is rid-ich plus. Another with some of the same ingredients is seachem polyguard. I’m trying that now in my main tank.
    Grasshopper
    Francis